Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NAV 2005 detecting a trojan horse A0037442.exe 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluByU

IS-IT--Management
Jul 29, 2003
US
I have a very frustrating problem with my PC. Several times a day, NAV 2005 pops up a warning dialog box saying that it has detected a trojan horse in file "C:\System Volume...\A0037442.exe" Trouble is, this file does not exist on my hard drive, and there are no references to it in my registry. Doing a virus scan in NAV 2005 returns no viruses.

I had Symantec support helping me with this problem Saturday night for a couple of hours (billed me #39.95!). They had me run "hijackthis" and send them the log file. I fixed the entries they suggested, but this message still keeps poping up. This, after they assured me they had fixed the problem. Now they want me to spend another $30 for "premium service" so that they can remote control into my computer to fix the issue they couldn't fix before.

Can someone please give me some help in getting rid of this virus? Thanks!

I would run an online scan like this:

I would check for malware as well:

spysweeper:

Update the defs and do a sweep.

Also check this out:

Ewido download will get trojans and other malware:

Update it and run a complete scan.

Post logs back and let us know if you got it.

Regards.

Erik

According to a few Google searches the fix is to disable System Restore (which will dump your system restore points and files), then re-enable it.

Thanks for the advice. I already have Spysweeper installed (bought it over a year ago) and it also says the system is clean. I turned off and on system restore as was suggested by Frank4d. I think I'll start with the simplest thing first, and then try the other procedures if this doesn't work. Again, thanks so very much for the advice! I'll let you know if this fixes the problem.

I'll try the simplest thing first. I turned off and on the system restore. I'll let everyone know if this fixes the problem. Thanks so much for the advice!

Those files will be system restore files!

Member of ASAP Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals

under the name khazars

The turning off/on of the system restore seems to have solved the problem. No more NAV pop-ups about this issue. I wish I could give you guys the $39.95 that Symantec charged me. You deserve it, they don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back