Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Native .NET Report Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoxyBOA

Programmer
Aug 11, 2003
UA
Hello !

I strongly need your advice. Which report generator is most valuable for .NET ?

I develop client/server windows software. So I wanna have thick client with ability show report in preview mode and print some data direct to printer. Another requirement is possibility export to pdf, rtf, doc, xls file formats. The last one requirements is ability add report objects at runtime (i.e. add page number at all reports at runtime).

Multi sections, formula scripts would be great plus.

And please don't advice my Crystal Report for .NET (or 9.x) I highly disappointed at it. It's dont native .NET product and very cumbersome. Besides tech support of Crystal Decision is another big disadvantage of it.

If you want advanced features like your speaking about, then I know you said not to suggest it, but Crystal Reports is the way to go. Yes it cumbersome and yes it can get complicated, but I would suggest biting the bullet and learning cause it just ain't gonna get any better than that.

It isn't ideal, but it is reality.

Hi stravis!

I got use Crystal Report for 3 year (for both COM and .NET). But now I highly disappointed CR's prospective, support and policy. We write ordinary client/server applications and I need simple report generator (sometime not so simple) with possibility dynamically manipulate report's content.

I don't want use CR 9 because during 1 week conversation with CR support team I got answer how should I deploy my VS2003 + CR9 solution. Besides CR9 redistribution packet size is ~40MB. How should I explain it to my customers why size of my application has been grown from ~2Mb to ~40 Mb?

Also please note regular monthly updates and SPs of CR that also should be redistributed to customers.

Now I use report generator from ComponentOne ( I satisfied it for 95%. It's 100% .NET native (in contrast to CR witch is COM) and significantly faster and easy to deploy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back