Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Native Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

quattro5vt

IS-IT--Management
Apr 3, 2002
US
We recently upgraded from Exchange 5.5 to 2000. This is our only Exchange server in the domain, so we want to run in native mode. The only problem is that the Change Mode button is greyed out and won't allow us to click it. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks, that made the button available. Before I click on change mode, are there any side effects that I should worry about, such as a forced reboot, or something that might stop working if I change? Thanks.

Ashley,

Technet Article Q272314 (Preparing a Mixed Mode Org'n for Conversion to Native Mode) describes the steps to switch from Mixed to Native.

Good Luck,
Dave

Is anyone aware of any negetive issues with converting to Native mode? We are ready to convert, but I have a fear that something will stop working. We only have one server that we upgraded from 5.5 to 2000. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I wouldn't call them negative issues, but here's the basic differences:
1) Mixed Mode can support downlevel exchange servers, Native can't
2) Mixed mode can handle only one routing group per administrative group, Native can handle multiple
3) Mixed mode can't move mailboxes between servers in separate administrative groups, Native can.
4) In Native mode, SMTP is the protocol of choice for all mail activity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back