Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

National Grammar Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

2ffat

Programmer
Oct 23, 1998
US
Today, March 4, is National Grammar Day!

James P. Cottingham
I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229!

One of my most favoritest days of the year !

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
“People may forget what you say, but they will never forget how you made them feel.

Oh how I chuckle every 4th of March when I remember that National Grammar Day was founded in a nation that thinks it's acceptable to use the word "leverage" as a verb...[bigsmile]

Chris

Someday I'll know what I'm donig...damn!

I think you mean mostest favoritest days...

Jeff
[small][purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day
"The software I buy sucks, The software I write sucks. It's time to give up and have a beer..." - Me[/small]

Yes, Jeff...I stand corrected. [2thumbsup]

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
“People may forget what you say, but they will never forget how you made them feel.

MeGuxtaXL said:
remember that National Grammar Day was founded in a nation that thinks it's acceptable to use the word "leverage" as a verb...

"Contact" has also become a verb . . . Aaargh

papadba said:
"Contact" has also become a verb . . . Aaargh

As has "Inbox"...[shakes head]

Chris

Someday I'll know what I'm donig...damn!

Contact has always been a verb.

Aspiring to mediocrity since 1957

hjgoldstein said:
Contact has always been a verb.
Opinions vary . . .

To me, this is like believing "close proximity" is valid/acceptable. Often used, but redundant . . .

@papadba - Based on your comment, '"Contact" has also become a verb . . . Aaargh', I'm curious as to when you feel that "to contact" became a verb?

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. - Plato

CajunCenturion said:
I'm curious as to when you feel that "to contact" became a verb?
I suppose it was the 70s or so.

Often we made contact or had someone as a contact. Then it became more common to use contact as an active verb.

Now it is probably more often used than "call", "write". etc.

Just a pet peeve, not a fall-on-sword thing . . .<g>

As you said, opinions vary. The verb "to contact", meaning "to get in touch with", has been around much longer. That being aid, using the verb "to contact", to mean "add you to my contact list" is quite recent and although I can't say it's wrong, I can say that it sounds awkward to me.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back