Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NAT with Zyxel 645M for FTP Serving 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shohan

Technical User
Oct 5, 2001
US
Alright, I am trying to setup an FTP Server at home. My network is like this.

Cloud --- 645M DSL Modem --- LinkSys BEFSR41 ---- PCs

I have the FTP program running on my PC just fine and can access it from my IP and the IP on the WAN port of the router. However, when I try and access it from the WAN IP of the DSL Modem I am connected to the modems FTP interface and not forwarded through. I have a rule setup in the NAT Application section to forward all requests for all ports to the WAN port of the router, and then I specifically list port 21 to be forwarded to the router as well. From there the router port forwards requests to their destination.

I am having no luch with this and SprintDSL (My ISP) has no clue and ZyXel's, the manufacturer of the modem, tech support isn't worth a damn.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Shohn

You need to put the router in Bridge mode. There are FAQs on the Zyxel site as to how to do this.

It is hard to give you specific advice as the US and other country firmware is slightly different, and I can only access the US instuctions.

Put the modem into bridge mode, or use a different modem that only operates in bridge mode.

Right, I will give that a try. Thanks bcastner. Why do you say its hard to give specific advice? Nowhere did I say that I wasn't from the US. I am North Carolina as a matter of fact...Oh well. Thanks again!

Shohn

It is hard to give specific advice because the modem is used worldwide, and the firmware has important differences in the bridging enable/disable menu commands. It is also difficult because there are several important variations in this device, so 645M does not completely tell the story as to what features you will see.

The Zyxel US site has several FAQs about using the CLI and menu interface to set bridge mode on the US models.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back