Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NAT on AIX 4.3.3 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

IoN6

MIS
Dec 18, 2001
US
I am looking to run some NAT program to use my F50 as my gateway to the net. Is there any precompiled version out there that I can install? Or is there something already in the OS that I can use?

I am going to be using the onboard Network port for the iNet side and a 3Com 905B for the local port. If that matters. Also would like to know if the 905B is going to work in there...

Thanx in advance.

There are some provisions of IPSEC and basic packet filtering in AIX

905B will not work in 99% cases even if you know all ODM tricks it takes

905 will work in those cases when you bought it from IBM
I've heard of systems that may run on F50:
NetBSD - Yellow Dog Linux - Suse Linux
Both systems support mature NAT and 3C905B ethernet ( And surely AMD LANCE onboard net adaptor)

I tried to install SuSE 7 somthing before I bought 4.3.3 to no avail. When you say IPSEC do you mean that I can route my internal addresses to the Net? Not following there.

Thanx again.

nope - IPSEC is transparent way of encrypt traffic between 2 hosts even over internet
AIX has routing builtin - it only routes in usual way
AIX has basic packet filter
AIX never had any NAT provisions you need

There is not 3rd party software I can compile for it?

WOW features and adwanced wizards - just like christmastree.
First Q was on a firewall product working with usual consumer 3C905B ethernet.
Anyway Linux/PPC can be way slower than Linux/i386, so any Pentium 100/64 can do a simple NAT job for ~ 100 users ( youll need more ram to add a Apache or Squid http cache)

Well I really want to make use if the system I got. I got a 7025-F50 from work. It is only a single proc but is still fast enough for me. I am trying to learn as much as I can about AIX. I have installed 4.2.1 and 4.3.3. And done the Firmware updates.

And I figured since I am learning on it I might as well use it too!

That can be an interesting challenge on putting any freeware system on RS/6000 - like floppy-loading the bootstrap and loading kernel from tftp etc etc
so - press 8 on console to get "ok" prompt and continue further (you may need another UNIX system nearby for netboots etc etc)

No no no... I like AIX. I was just wondering if there was some NAT program out there so that I could use it as my router at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back