Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NAT ISSUE- Ping but Can't Browse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Feb 19, 2001
US
Hello I temporaily setup my Windows 2000 server for routing with NAT enable. (1st NIC==>Internet(Cable Modem) & 2nd NIC=INTERNAL) I have 12 clients all windows XP pro and Home. The clients can ping public interfaces just fine, but can't resolve them by their names ( clues. I'm assuming i configure NAT correctly on the 2000 server because when i remove nat from RRAS the clients can't even ping public ip's anymore. My windows 2000 server is acting as DNS, DHCP, and router plus i can ping and browse just fine from the 2000 server. All services are running correctly. Any clues, thanks so much.

You need to configure your dns server with a forwarder to an outside dns server (ISP)

Thnks in advance to all users out there who continually answer all of our questions. Although I try to answer some questions, I usually am asking.

I do have my ISP DNS IP's in the forwarder setting, still no luck, any other clues, thanks.

did you delete the "." zone in your dns setting. If you didn't that my be your problem.

Nick

nhidalgo, what do you mean by "." zone in dns, please elaborate, thanks for the tip.

When you first installed DNS, it set up a root zone. If you look in DNS, it will look like a folder with a "." and no other name. This root zone thinks it is the almighty authority as far as DNS is concerned. You can't create a forward as long as this zone exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back