Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NAT help

Status
Not open for further replies.

RainUK

Programmer
Apr 19, 2002
GB
I am trying to use NAT with Win2K server. I have used MS guide to put it together, but my clients can't connect properly. I am a newbie at this so simple steps would be great thanks.

I used this MS link to set it up:

My win2K pro clients can ping something like msn.co.uk and it replies, but when I go to use internet explorer to browse there, the download begins but I only get part of the page, then it takes ages for the page to be displayed (If I wait that long).

Setup:

2 NIC cards, NetGear (Blueyonder Cable Modem Attached) and CNet (for internal Network card)

Server is fresh win2K build, with SQL Server 2000, installed all service packs.

Clients are win2k pro, all service packs.

I am using MS internal range for the CNet card 192.168.0.x
The cable modem card is all DHCP from the ISP.

In RRAS I have it setup to DHCP on the 192.168.0.x range and sub net 255.255.255.0 (Excluded 192.168.0.1 for server).
I am not running Win2K DHCP.

In DNS setup, I set it to listen on 192.168.0.1 for DNS queries, in forwarding tab, it is setup with my ISPs two DNS server ips.

The server NIC is setup with no gateway enetered, dns is set as the two isp ones.

The clients are set for auto obtain IP address, and I have used 192.168.0.1 for the DNS server.

Anybody out there know what is happening, thanks in advance!

Server LAN card DNS should be set to itself, not ISP. These are entered in forwarders tab.

I am not sure if I agree with using DHCP from cable ISP, I like to keep this in-house. Also, how are clients getting correct DNS info from DHCP if this is not on your server? Manual config?

Alex

Hi Alex,

Thanks for replying but I have figured it out, well not entirely. But basically I had NAT all working until I put on SQL Server 2000 SP2. So I ended up rebuilding my server and not putting on SQL Server SP2, now NAT works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back