Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NAT for W98 on XP Host on Broadband

Status
Not open for further replies.

plymstock

IS-IT--Management
Apr 12, 2000
GB
I'm struggling to set up WinRoute Pro after having Blueyonder Broadband installed.

Host PC is XP Home SP1.
Internet & Email (IE6 & OE6) work OK.
WinRoute worked fine on XP using RAS via 56K modem.
NAT is set up, and no proxy setting at all.
DNS is enabled, but NOT specified in DHCP.

The 2 Client PCs are W98 (IE6 & OE6), set to automatically obtain IP addresses, and Gateway is specified as Host's IP address.

The behaviour is odd!...

1) Host PC can access POP3 & SMTP successfully
2) Clients can access SMTP but not POP3 - on the same ISP (in this case, Hotchilli) (ie: they can send but not receive!)
3) Clients can browse only a few sites ....eg: is OK, but cannot be accessed (yeah - for my kids! Honest!) In fact, most sites (inc Blueyonder's own site - my ISP) are not accessible. The progress bar pretends to move for a while, and the address shows in the info pane, and then "The page cannot be found" etc!

I've tried trawling through the manual and inserting the example settings.
NAT is enabled on the USB cable modem & not on the NIC
Subnets are different for Internal & Internet cards
Subnet masks are the same (though making them different did not solve the problem).

ICS & XP Firewall are NOT enabled at all.

Any suggestions?

You will need the gateway and DNS server IP in the DHCP scope to be the private IP of the Winroute PC.

Chris.
Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?

DNS & Gateway were indeed set to the Host's internal NIC IP.

Setting WinRoute to function as a proxy server made browsing possible for the 2 client PCs (after setting IE to use a proxy, obviously), although POP3 still did not work.

For the time being I've reverted to MS ICS plus Zone Alarm... not what I really wanted to do, but it did at least provide functionality for the network. But I'd rather get WinRoute working.

Strange that it worked OK on RAS but not on the NIC. Uninstalling, reboot and reinstalling didn't solve the problem either.

Any other ideas? Is this a problem primarily to do with Blueyonder Broadband, the internal network, or WinrRoute?

Have you tried adding the ISPs DNS server to the list of forwarders, also make sure that the Winroute Host IP is set as the DNS server in the network settings for the client machines or put it into the DHCP scope.
Win2k and XP are usually ok without a specified DNS server but Win9x need the server IP specified.

I think it's more to do with USB modems\routers, I have encountered similar problems with USB modems with both BT and Blueyonder. The solution on my own (home) network was to use Win2k svr as my Winroute machine and set up a authoritive DNS server inside my network (domainname.co.lcl), as BT (my ISP) from time to time change the IPs of their ADSL DNS servers and quite often the change never propogated down because I rarely reboot the machine.

Chris.
Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?

Thanks for the comments... I've now given up on the programme. I'm using Kerio's Personal Firewall instead (apparently it uses the same engine), and XP's ICS function. I'm getting the functionality that I require, but confess I'm not sure how much security this provides compared with the WinRoute setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back