Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NAT, DNS, and other abbreviations

Status
Not open for further replies.

simanek

Programmer
Jan 19, 2001
US
Okay, I'm my machine is in a boatload of trouble here. I'm running win2k server with 2 NICs in it. One is connected to the outside world through a broadband connection and the other is connection to my internal network. I have 1 win2k box and 1 win98 box behind the win2k server. I'm running NAT and DHCP. I can ping from inside my network to outside but I can't just ping have to ping 64.58.76.176. So, my next guess was to install the domain controller and DNS. Easy enough, but this still doesn't solve my problem. DNS will work for the internal machines but it doesn't do jack for anything on the external network. Any guesses would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Mike,

When you ping an external address, does the name get resolved to an IP address?

As for your DNS server, make sure you have Root Hints configured in the server properties. These help your internal server resolve external address. You may need to have a port open for DNS in your firewall, but it's been a while since I played with NAT.

As a side note, generally you do not want to enable query forwarding to your ISP's name servers. Their servers get hammered by this, and they don't like it--especially if this is a home connection that isn't supposed to be supporting a network in the first place.

HTH

Sean

Unfortunately this machine is a domain controller so it won't let me use forwarding or add root hints. I have no idea why. I've tried configuring the clients to use the external dns but that doesn't work either. And no, names don't get resolved. I can only ping an ip. Thanks.

Mike

Just some quick thoughts
- (assume you are using DHCP) under DHCP, make sure router is configured as your default gateway.
- 2 nic's in system - make sure the inside nic does not have a gateway configured - this will re-route traffic to itself in an endless route.

Good Luck!
aliengry.gif

[TAG]
anongod@hotmail.com
"Drawing on my fine command of language, I said nothing."

For future reference for anyone dealing with this same difficult situation...I reinstalled routing and remote access and reset all of those connections as well as switching the order in which the cards get connected. i.e. local area connection 1 is my outside connection and local area connection 3 (don't ask why it's a 3...it just is) is my internal. This made all of the difference in the world. It shouldn't but hey, it works now. Thanks for all the help guys.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back