Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NAT Config

Status
Not open for further replies.

skk391

Technical User
Mar 3, 2009
GB
Hello,

I need some advise on configuring NAT in a Home Lab, I am studying for my ICDN 2 & have got to the NAT section. I would like to test NAT properly and have a play around. My Lab consists of 3 * 2500 router, 1* 2801 router and a couple of 2950 switches.

I want to connect the 2801 to the internet so that I can define my inside and outside interfaces because this router has 2 fast ethernet ports. I was hoping that I would be able to connect one of the interfaces to a non-cisco ADSL router which has 4 switchports built into it. I have given the interface on the 2801 an ip address within the same subnet of the ADSL router but I am unable to ping it. Is there anything special that I need to enable or run on the 2801 to enable it to ping and communicate with a non-cisco device?

The lights on the 2801 and the port on the ADSL router are light up on int fa 0/1. I tried it on Int fa 0/0 but it will not even light up on this interface. I have posted a copy of my config can someone please advise me on it is even possible and there I have gone wrong.

Many Thanks in advance.

Config .....
Router2801#show config
Using 1240 out of 196600 bytes
!
version 12.4
service timestamps debug datetime msec
service timestamps log datetime msec
no service password-encryption
!
hostname Router2801
!
boot-start-marker
boot-end-marker
!
enable secret 5 $1$ltwB$3Xuu3zY588SPpSe.H1plJ1
enable password ****
!
no aaa new-model
!
resource policy
!
mmi polling-interval 60
no mmi auto-configure
no mmi pvc
mmi snmp-timeout 180
ip subnet-zero
ip cef
!
!
no ip dhcp use vrf connected
!
!
no ip domain lookup
!
username **** privilege 15 password 0 ****
username **** privilege 15 password 0 ****
!
!
!
interface FastEthernet0/0
no ip address
duplex auto
speed auto
no mop enabled
!
interface FastEthernet0/1
ip address 192.168.1.33 255.255.255.0
ip access-group 1 in
ip access-group 1 out
duplex auto
speed auto
!
interface FastEthernet0/1.4
shutdown
!
interface Serial0/3/0
no ip address
ip nat outside
shutdown
no fair-queue
clockrate 2000000
!
ip classless
!
ip http server
ip http authentication local
ip http timeout-policy idle 600 life 86400 requests 10000
ip nat inside source list 1 interface Serial0/3/0 overload
!
access-list 1 permit 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.255
!
control-plane
!
!
line con 0
password *****
line aux 0
line vty 0 4
password *****
login local
!
end

I have been messing around with access-lists but I dont think that is the issue.

A couple of things:
- gtet rid of the access-lists for the moment
- get rid of the sub-interface under f0/1
- add an "ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.33 1"

When you connect the two interfaces, do a "show interface f0/1" and see what it says.

Get on your ADSL router and check what config it has for its switchports and to see whether it has any filtering.

You could setup your ADSL in bridge mode and NAT the Fa0/1 interface and not the serial 0/3/0 interface. Then setup a default static route like VinceWhirlwind was saying and have all routers update via routing protocol or static routes.

Thanks I will give it a go over this weekend.
I'll keep you posted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back