Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

nas with backup. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

koresnordic

IS-IT--Management
Nov 28, 2002
GB
Hi, I wonder if I can get some advise? I am looking at a networked storage solution. The amount of space required would not be large, by some standards, being around 200gb. I do not want the problem of having to keep buying more licenses, so a windows based system is out. But I also want to be able to back up the data stored onto tape. To this end I am looking for a file server that has a built in tape unit. Is this feasable? And does anybody have any recomendations (I am based in the UK, so anything recommended would need to be available here). Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

[pc]

Graham

The Fastora NAS unit is FreeBSD based. While it doesn't have a built in tape drive, some of them have an optional SCSI port so you could attach the tape drive of your choice and move it around if need be.

Good luck,

FredUG

Snap Servers using the Guardian OS. I don't know what your price range is, but the some of the Snap Servers have a built in SCSI card and do have local tape backup software.

>---------------------------------------Lawrence Feldman
SR. QA. Engineer SNAP Appliance
lfeldman@snapappliance.com

Thanks for your help. But I have decided to go for a Iomega nas, with an external tape drive.

[pc]

Graham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back