Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NAS gone dodgy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Odyssey

Technical User
Dec 16, 2001
US
I have had a 500GB SimpleShare NAS attached to my network for some months and it suddenly stopped showing files.

A few days ago, I had to restart one of the computers on the network and when it came back up and I tried to access the Simpleshare, the device did not show up (and neither did Workgroup). The restart may be purely co-incidental however, as it might have not been working for a few days previously and I just wasn't attempting to access it.

In My Network Places, one of my computers still shows the SimpleShare "place" but when I click on it, I get a message that I am not authorized to view it. Strange, I was a few days ago.

I can reach the NAS device via Explorer at 192.168.0.113 and sign into the admin panel, but here is another issue.

When this device was originally set up it's network group name was somehow set as Workgroup, while all of my Windows computers are on MSHome. That did not seem to be a problem as "Windows Network" showed both and when I clicked on Workgroup, the SimpleShare drive was there.

So through the admin panel, I attempted to set up a new network name as MSHome so as to match the computers on the network and was able to do so, but when I click on the SimpleShare under MSHome in My Network places, it shows a netfolder, but there is nothing in it. I was hoping that it might somehow show me the files on the hdd.

I am reluctant to set up a new "Workgroup" network name for fear of it conflicting with the existing one (but which is no longer showing up in under My Network Places) and not allowing me to see the files.

The hard disk is running as I can feel the vibrations of a running drive by just putting my hand on the NAS.

The fact that I can reach the admin panel of the NAS is encouraging (but this is probably a matter of reaching the controlling software of the device rather than reaching the hdd inside the box?), but also when I click on the new netfolder under MSHome, I can copy files into the share, open, close, and delete them. Hopefully this confirms that the drive is not dead.

It seems that others have had similar problems, but no one has yet posted a solution, so this looks like a good bone for those who understands NAS's to sink their teeth into. Please help as I, and others, have a lot of important data there.

Not had a great deal of experience with NAS devices, but have found the Western Digital MyBookWorld device which a user had installed to be pretty flaky as regards network connection. Regularly has to be power cycled, and then the network connection is restored ok.

I think the first thing you should do is try and back up important documents which hopefully still exist on the NAS's hard disk. If it was mine I'd take the device apart, pull out the drive, attach it directly to a motherboard interface, and see if your files can be copied over onto another drive.

The one I have here (LAN STORAGE) for test purposes formats the drive FAT32.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Thanks. I have considered that, but if there is a less hardware oriented solution, would like to find that before tearing into it. This device has a reputation of being difficult to open.

On the NAS (web interface that is), look for the SHARES and see if you can change their attributes, I am thinking that the NAS is just protecting the SHARE because you are in a different Workgroup than you where in the beginning...

Just as G0AZ, I too am not familiar with the device or its Web Interface, so I can not direct you to the solution any better...

Here is a Manual for the device (I am not sure if it is the same as yours)

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Thanks for the manual, but so far cannot find anything in it directly related.

For info, I have reset the device using a paper clip. The device returned to the same state that it was in before the reset.

I am now and have been able to sign into the admin panel using a browser.

In the admin panel, I have created a "new" Workgroup now in hopes that will lead me back to the existing files, and enabled them in remote access, but it also didn't seem to change anything.

The hdd seems to be working, but something has interfered with my access to the numerous files that were there before the share stopped showing them to me.

When you look at the folder and right click on it do you have a security tab?
Which users are listed as able to access the folder if the tab is there?
Have you tried shutting off the printer pool on the NAS device and see if it is just the printer you are seeing as a folder?

tlcscousin, if I right click on the netfolder, there is no security tab.

When you mention tab, I am wondering if you meant to right click and select "Properties"? If one does that, it brings up tabs but no security tab.

Haven't tried that, but as I mentioned earlier, when I click on the new netfolder under MSHome, I can copy files into the share, open, close, and delete them. Could this be the printer pool?

no if you can transfer files in and out it would no be a printer pool folder.
What operating system is running on the computer?

I am now updating. I have been in touch with Simpleshare (SimpleTech, which is a division/sub/something of Hitachi) tech support.

The extent of their meager assistance was to advise that the NAS device uses a file system called "reiserfs" and that it might be possible FOR ME to recover the data using specialized file recovery software for this file format, but they had no interest in assisting, even though this appears to me to be a fundamental device fault. Probably needless to say, I have bought my last SimpleShare hardware.

Anyway, I have been googling for software, and have found some, but now need some guidance and recommendations as to which package/s I might use. Writing off the drive was expensive enough, but I hope to not add to that by finding either freeware or inexpensive shareware to attempt the task.

Has anyone had any experience with this format? If so, have any of you done a recovery?

Many thanks.

To tell you the truth: No, I haven't had any experience in recovery of a ReiserFS formatted disk, if they where/are deleted...

except to take the drive out of the NAS, attach it to a working PC, then to either use a Knoppix LiveCD or Parted Magic Linux LiveCD, mount the partition and then copy the files from it to another drive (external USB formatted in FAT32, so that it will not copy over the Permissions etc. that might hamper access later)...

Both LiveCD's are FREE!!!

these might prove to be useful:

ReiserFS undelete/data recovery HOWTO

ReiserFS File Undelete HOWTO

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back