Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NAS / 2 Dell Server installation and configure. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dushi1

Technical User
May 22, 2006
AW
Hi,
I am working on a project I would like to get some feedback from others on. (hopefully to validate my reasoning!)

I have 2 Server (Dell)I need to balance performance, redundancy, and backup.So i bought a NAS 400r.

My question is what are your thoughts on the best setup of 2 server running windows 2003 and the a NAS running Linux OS? am i going to get conflict with two different OS? I initially considered clustering the 2 server that have windows 2003 advanced, but think I'll be happier having the NAS holding my data and so if anything goes wrong with the windows server the NAS will be the DC, is my ideas possible?? Am I correct in assuming this?? will it provide better performance for the users? I have never work with a NAS before, is my first time setting it up.
I will like to get some advice on my ideas,

I want the 2 server to cluster each other and the nas to hold the data, i also want to have a 0 Down time. is this possible??

any help will be great full.

The only way to accomplish ZERO downtime is via a synchronous mirroring solution.

I think you need to read more on the purpose and function of NAS. A NAS device cannot be a DC for your domain.

Using a NAS device, you will be basically only creating CIFS (SMB)or NFS shares to present and map to your clients.

NAS is not a block level device.

Are saying that mirroring is the best solution for a zero down time?? i maped the data on the NAS that is working fine, i will go ahead and try the mirroring.

thx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back