Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Naming files with Date built into the name

Status
Not open for further replies.

phweston

Programmer
May 8, 2003
I am in the process of exporting a text file, and I need to name it using the current date and some text as the file name.

The nameing convention goes something like:

YYYYMMDDhhmmss_sometext

When I set this up using Month and Day functions, I would like to see the single digit months, days, hours, minutes, and seconds to show up as 2 digits.

For example, if I use Month(now), this will return a "9", instead of "09". I tried using the Format function, but that doesn't work. Any suggestions.

Here is part of the code that I am using:

SaveDate = Now
YearDate = Year(SaveDate)
MonthDate = Format(Month(SaveDate), mm)
DayDate = Format(Day(SaveDate), dd)
HourDate = Hour(SaveDate)
MinuteDate = Minute(SaveDate)
SecondDate = Second(SaveDate)

exportfile = YearDate _
& Format(MonthDate, mm) _
& Format(DayDate, dd) _
& Format(HourDate, hh) _
& Format(MinuteDate, mm) _
& Format(SecondDate, ss) _
& "_holdings"

DoCmd.TransferText acExportDelim, "Testexport Export Specification", "tblCharfinalData", "s:\federated\_technology\" & exportfile & ".txt", no

The file name came out as "200393112254_holdings"

Are you sure you are using the format function correctly?

Format (Now, "mm") returns 08

Format (Now, "hh") returns 16 (I am in the uk - GMT timezone if this seems out)

To get a leading zero if there isn't one:

Format (Format (Now, "m"), "00")

but this is a bit of a waste of time as you can put two M's in the first set of quotes.
By the way - you don't need to extract all the individual elements of the date - you can use it all from the first one. The following should fix it:

exportfile = Format (Year(SaveDate), "yyyy") _
& Format(SaveDate, "mm") _
& Format(SaveDate, "dd") _
& Format(SaveDate, "hh") _
& Format(SaveDate, "mm") _
& Format(SaveDate, "ss") _
& "_holdings"

John

Afternoon,

Minutes should be formated as nn. Try this

format(now(),"YYYYMMDDHHNNSS") & "_HOLDING"

it will return:
20030903172429_HOLDING

Cheers

bruce

Thanks for all your help!

I was on the right track. I didn't enclose the "YYYYMMDDhhnnss" in quotes.

It works great now!

Again, thanks

why not just view the properties for the file... that always has the date it was created.

just a thought.

Mark P.

Bleh

why not just view the properties for the file... that always has the date it was created.

Yes Mark - but if you need to store numerous versions of a file in the same folder ( Lots of "_Holding" files - as per earlier example ) then you need to differentiate them in their NAME.

BTW.
The great advantage of YYYYMMDD in that particular order is that Windoz Explorer then automatically list them in a chronological order ( Whereas DDMMYY jumbles them up ).

G LS
spsinkNOJUNK@yahoo.co.uk
Remove the NOJUNK to use.

oh, well i just use the right click option and view details of the explorer window. i can then sort by date created, modified, file name.. oh.. and size.

you can also write a file viewer in vba. i have one for clients..

when i save files, if they had a version number, i save it with the version number at the end of the name. But i can see the relevance of dates in the name if it makes it easier.

Mark P.

Bleh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back