Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Naming a .dll

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikemcginty

Programmer
Jul 11, 2002
AU
If I am making a .dll how do I ensure that the name will not clash with existing .dlls?

Thanks

Mike When you call out for help in the darkness, and you hear a voice in return, you're probably just talking to yourself again!

Search as many computers as you can then hope for the best.

Welcome to dll hell!

Thats a good question. Somehow I've never ran into this problem yet. Well, you can always put your initials in front of the DLL. That should make sure you dont name your dll as something microsoft wrote.

This question cannot be answered straightforward. Even if u check the computer u are currently using, u cannot ensure that the computer in which your software will run does not contain any such dll. The only way is to concatenate the dll with name of the project or your name or any other meaningful name that will help maintain the name of dll unique.

Why not simply checking google for "myname.dll" ?

Try this:

Create a unique GUID with uuidgen.
Compile your dll with the name of the GUID.

Example:
{12340001-4980-1920-6788-123456789012}.dll

Does anybody tried this?

Bye
LauDse

Thanks for all the suggestions

Mike When you call out for help in the darkness, and you hear a voice in return, you're probably just talking to yourself again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back