Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Named instance of SQL Server - can't connect

Status
Not open for further replies.

heyTDG

Programmer
Aug 3, 2006
US
We have a SQL Server 2000 machine running in the DMZ. It provides database functionality to production Web sites running on a remote server, and also to local developer machines on our internal network. There are two SQL Server instances, one running on 1433, and a second named instance running on 1333 (not dynamic).

Everything works fine--EXCEPT--when we try to make connections to the named instance from a Web server also on the DMZ, we cannot connect at all. Attempts to telnet to 1333 from this Web server fail consistently. But none of the local developer machines, nor our remote Web server have any difficulty.

The Pix admins have assured me that the DMZ Web server is on the same access lists as the other (remote) Web server, even listed with both the public and private IPs. Where do you recommend we go from here?

Thanks!

Are you saying the Web server and both SQL servers are in the same DMZ?

I will check with the admins, but I believe that both the Web server and SQL Server machine (running both MSSQL instances) are in the same DMZ.

If they are both in the same DMZ, then they should be on the same subnet. If they are on the same subnet, then any communication between the two (including telnetting on port 1333) would not involve the PIX.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back