Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Name the first two 10-year periods starting in year 2000 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ESquared

Programmer
Dec 23, 2003
US
If the years 1990 - 1999 are collectively, The Nineteen-Nineties (or The Nineties or The '90s as you prefer), then what do we call the years 2000 - 2009 and 2010 to 2019?

The Twenty-Oughts and the Twenty-Teens?

Let's hear your 20 mills.

Unfortunately.. or fortunately perhaps.

is already taken, I was thinking perhaps I should register it and sell my idea for $thousands$!

Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered
with many different competing registrars. Go to for detailed information.

Domain Name: WORDRANK.COM
Registrar: TUCOWS INC.
Whois Server: whois.opensrs.net
Referral URL: Name Server: NS.NELIM.COM
Updated Date: 09-jul-2004
Creation Date: 07-jul-2002
Expiration Date: 07-jul-2005

>>> Last update of whois database: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 08:37:02 EDT <<<

Current Registrar: TUCOWS INC.
Record Type: Domain Name
Server Type: Apache 1
Lock Status: REGISTRAR-HOLD
Web Site Status: Active
DMOZ no listings
Y! Directory: see listings
Secure: No
E-commerce: No
Traffic Ranking: Not available
Data as of: 08-Jun-2004

Last I checked only 1 decade started in 2000, not 2 :)
And that one started in 2001 depending on how you define decades.

I propose to call the current decade "the Teens", after the mental age of the average member of world society (irrespective of physical age) during this decade.

Were the nicknames for the decades in the 20th century in use during the decades that were being described, or did these names come later?

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions!

TANSTAAFL!!

I just like the O's or "oooooooooohs"...........
y'all gave me a headache with all your analyzations! I think that somewhere down the line, people as a whole will go back & say some word/phrase that will kind of take on the meaning of these O's...........(I know, that's a letter "O", not a number 0 zero)........in fact, I bet it will be my son's generation to come up with something.......they're the ones growing up in it.......of course, I really don't like being called a "gen-x"-er either............
ok, enough about that.......
oh yeah........isn't this decade 2001 to 2010???????

Yes, this decade is 2001 to 2010. But I was not referring to proper decades! That is why I said the somewhat awkward "first two 10-year periods" instead of "first two decades."

-------------------------------------
A sacrifice is harder when no one knows you've made it.

Isn't a decade just a ten year period? The first decade of this millenium would be 2001 to 2010, but the decade starting in 2000 is surely an equally valid use of the word.

"Your rock is eroding wrong." -Dogbert

sha76,

I see that you are correct, 2000 to 2009 is a decade.I think it's just not one of the generally accepted 'official' decades of a millennium, such those meant when someone says "the first decade of this millennium" or "this decade."

I could have used decennium, instead!

-------------------------------------
A sacrifice is harder when no one knows you've made it.

These are the Twenty-Hundreds"

Yes, but that describes the century, not 10 years of it...

I vote for the naughties too :)

Penny

Here is a column by Cecil Adams on the subject (from back in the 90's).

De mortuis nihil nisi bonum.

Interesting that we seem to have naturally solved the second dilema - how to say 2000, 2001 as years. People seem to have no problem with "The year two thousand" or just "In two thousand, I was doing quite well, but in oh one, things started to go downhill".

I have to disagree with calling the year two thousand one with oh-one, I guess that since I am not a programming engineer I start counting with one and not zero, even with that in mind I am fairly sure that "the naughties" will prevail as history.

(Maybe Heinlein's "the Crazy years" will be the end designation)

If voting could really change things, it would be illegal.

JerryReeve
Communications Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back