Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

name searh in vpn

Status
Not open for further replies.

onsiteclt

Technical User
Dec 3, 2003
US
I have a network behind a linksys router with vpn passthru enabled, connecting to a computer in an office network behind a vina router with a staic ip address mapped to a private ip.
I can connect to the vpn just fine, but I can't find computers on the office network by searching for the machine name. example \\server.
I can find them by ip address search. Example \\192.168.0.18
Office network is 98/xp macines & office server is xp & client and network are all xp.
I wantt to serch by names becuase its easier to remember.
Any ideas?

Have you tried creating a lmhost or host file? A WINS server on your office network may resolve netbious resolution for your 98 clients.

No haven't tried lmhost yet or wins. I didn't think it would work inside the vpn. name searches are fine at the office outside of the vpn.

Name searches work in the office because of the broadcast nature of NetBios name resolution. On a VPN connection the connection between you and the network is routed and so broadcast traffic is not passed. This is why it isn't working.

icemanguru is correct in stating that you need to use a hosts file or have a WINS server on the network.

Chris.

Chris Andrew, CCNA, CCSA
chris@iproute.co.uk

OK, I will try the LMHOST file on the office network & see what happens. Thank's to everyone for all the help.

Let say someone sets up a WINS server to be able to browse the network. Does that mean you can add a printer also? What I mean by this is when you go to add a printer, you can browse when on the LAN. So if WINS is setup, will someone be able to browse printers also and be able add and print?

TIA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back