Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Name Parsing 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

EBOUGHEY

Programmer
Aug 20, 2002
US
I am trying to come up with some type of program that will parse multiple names to separate fields. The main issue is that there is no set format. Will I have to design some type of lookup table or do you think that CASE statements that evaluate the name field and perform the action will work? For instance, it removes companies first (lookup table we already have, looks for several formats and counts how many words each has, then processes?... (Below is a sample of the data)

"GRINDE, JAMES C; GRINDE, LINDA"
"GRINDE JAMES C & LINDA"
"Willis Corroon & Assoc."
"J. P. & R. B. Jordan III"
"Cecil & Frances Viverette Jr."
"Katherine M. & Jo Karen Lowman"
"Mr & Mrs Keith W. McLaurin"
"Don & Sara Casper"
"Morris & Venus Hendrix Jr."
"Donald & Jodi Lindsey III"
"Mary Ann & Robert McCoy Jr."
"Dr & Mrs Michael S. Patrick"
"Matthew Steven & Autumn Bullock Williams"
"Mr. & Mrs. David & Lu Thompson"
"Mr. & Mrs. Gary R. McNeill"
"W. Michael & Jill Scarbrough"
"John Douglas & Ann Lowe Vodicka"

You have a nightmare on your hands. If you ever get something that works flawlessly, you will be rich.
It will have to simulate the human brain.

Don

I would like a copy, too. Please send to:

dcrawford at teachinglearning dot com.

Thank you very much!

David

Don,
I'm really just supplying a piece of very old (but working!) code. Once you get into it, it's not too hard to follow except for the "archaic" use of '->' instead of '.' qualify table field names.

I sent Dawn's copy yesterday and David's is on the way! I really need to find a website that will host this file, then I could just post a link!

Rick

Hi,

How about this offer by Ali Koumaiha?

Free Web Space on my Website to host.
thread184-737428

Hi Rick,
I dont seem to be able to find your listings on Ali Koumaiha's web page as suggested by TheRambler. Am I missing something?
Koen

Nope - you are missing nothing! I got busy and never posted the file. I'll see if I can do it right now!

Rick

I see a lot of requests for the program you wrote. Have you posted the file yet?

Elena

Elena,
Nope, I can't seem to access the FTP site and I'm waiting for a response from Ali (TeknoSDS).

Note: I didn't write it - Walt Kennamer from Fox Software wrote it - a long time ago!

Rick

Rick,

Seems a lot of foxes are waiting for the coding. Ali does not response, my suggestion: post it as a reply on this forum.

Koen

If you want, you can email it to me and I'll post it on my website and put the link out here for all...

eboughey at bellsouth dot net

Until Ali gets his FTP site straightened out, I've sent the file off to eboughey. Now we just have to get him to provide a link! :)

Rick

Oops :~/, I usually don't make gender specific references when I'm not sure.

Thanks for the link! Now I'll just send people there!

Rick

Hi Rick,

How about writing a little faq about it?
That 'old' (read good) code has been helpful to me not only for name parsing but for parsing other strings too.
I should have given you a star before, but here it is,
better late than never. Thanks again.

oops! sorry, somehow I can't give you the star, I have problems with my browser. At the bottom left there is a message 'Error in page', 'Object expected'.
(maybe I'll post that in a javascript or browser related forum), but here you go ***

So close So good....but I am still looking for a good parsing routine. I really only need to get the last name out of a name string....

Dorian C. Chalom

Dorian,

how are the names now formatted? Maybe we can figure out a simple routine to solve your problem, also would advise you to start a new topic.

Regards,

Koen

Check out ParseWare at the link below. ParseWare is a parseing library written in native Delphi code. New with version 1.5 is the ParseWare API and the FoxPro wrapper to the API. Parsing of name, address, city/state/zip and case conversion are all supported.

Good Luck

I have to wonder..... How long would a procedure have taken to write like that. That is some amazing stuff.

Guess that is why he was one of the people who developed fox, all I know is I feel inferior now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back