Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Name of Current Field Problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rifter1

Technical User
Jun 1, 2006
US
Using FMP7

I have an incredibly large table of data that I need to visually look at and select the right data to enter into field. Unfortunately there are about 25 fields that require this lookup.

This is what I want to do:

I click on the field that I want to enter data into. FMP Switches to another layout which has a lot of data in rows and columns. I click on the right field, FMP copies that data, returns me to the original layout and pastes it into the field.

This seems like a really simple thing.

BUT I can't find a way to return the data to the original field. Is there a way to remember which field I clicked on in the original layout?

I found on FileMaker's website in FMPro version 3.0 you could do this. It seems strange they REMOVED a powerful feature like that?

The first question was... given the complexity of the tables, couldn't I have a large, single-page layout showing all values in a human-readable grid. Which. When I click on the field that I want the "heat transfer measurement" to be put into... it pops open that Large Grid... perhaps if you look into all the grids behind the scenes you will start to realize just how large -- and then, once the number I visually select is clicked on , it puts it back into the field in the first layout that I originally clicked on.

The problem is -- having accomplished all that I have in this method ..

I can't imagine having the layout on a handheld so large as to display all the given values that I have, and yet still be useable.

I think I have arrived at the method that is right for the task.

However it still bothers me I can't determine the name of a field that I just clicked on. (smiles)

So how do I make the value "City" exist across all tables? Once selected in one table?

by the way the purpose of this file is to correctly size air conditioners or heaters for a home. The data included is extremely limited, so I'm not worried about the file link )

Sorry for late reply, exams all over....

As far as I can see you're missing one Table Occurence and an open link between your Windows and Worksheet

Add a key field (auto enter constant = 1, indexed) in your Windows and Worksheet table.
Make a TO based upon this key field. (constant = constant).
In Worksheet the cityName will be the regular value, where in Windows the cityName has to be a calculated global, based upon your new TO.

That will do.

HTH

HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back