Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

name of all PDF/FDF field names 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

grtfercho

Programmer
Apr 11, 2003
US
I created a multipage form based on a government paper form.
All went great until I started creating the FDF file dinamically. I seem to copy/pasted the same field more than once on the pages using the same name.
Is there a way or a piece of software that can help me see all the names of the fields in my form without checking each and everyone of them?
Some of the fields are really small because they represent checkboxes and radios so going and opening each of them to see the name seems a long process specially when the form has +-250 elements.

I remember using a feature in Acrobat 5 that I can't find now on acrobat 6.0. In any case an internal feature that lists all the fields or a third party piece of software will help a lot.
Thanks in advance..

grtfercho çB^]\..
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge"A. Einstein

Click on 'Window' then select 'Fields' from the list - a box will open which lists all fields, their field type, and in brackets after the field name it indicates what incidence of this field name it is - a zero in brackets indicates the first incidence, 1 would indicate the second incidence of the field.

Hope this helps

Rule Britannia, Britannia Waives the Rules

HOw could I not see that???
too much overtime eventually gets me sometimes.....

Thanks a bunch

grtfercho çB^]\..
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge"A. Einstein

Not quite. I got back and try it on my Acrobat 6.0 and under Window there is no option for Fields... :( :(

Any other suggestions???

grtfercho çB^]\..
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" A. Einstein
-----------------------------------------------

Not got v6.o yet - perhaps this has been moved under another drop down menu?

The only other way I know of to list the field names would be to use the getNthFieldName method - found this code a while back in another forum. Create a multiline text field called "Field List", then create a button and assign the following code to the mouse up action

Code:
var flist = this.getField("Field List");
var mylist="";
var fieldname="";
for (var i = 0; i < this.numFields; i++){
     fieldname=this.getNthFieldName(i);
      mylist+="Field[" + i + "] = " + fieldname+"\r";
}
flist.value=mylist;

This will give you a full list of all field names, but it wont tell you if there are any duplicated names - it will only list a single instance of each fieldname in alphabetical order.

In Acro 6, do the following
under view select Navigator Tags then fields
a display will show with fields.

good lunch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back