Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Name & Number lookup

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdawley4

Technical User
Aug 6, 2004
US
Hi,

I have a database that contains a main table and several lookup wizard tables linked to the main table. Within the database, I have some Names and Phone numbers. I also have a form that I can fill out. On the form, I have the names and phone numbers as well, with a row source pointing back to the table containing just the names and numbers. I want to be able to have the names in a combo box to select and have their phone number automatically fill in once a name is selected. How can I accomplish this?

Thanks,

Chris

Have you tried to follow the combo wizard ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

I tried the combo box and it didn't accomplish what I was doing. The names are in a combo box and the phone number field is set up as a text box. I want to be able to pick a name from the combo box and have it fill in my text box with the phone number that matches the name on my combo box. I am pulling my names and numbers from a seperate table that contain the names and phone numbers. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Something like this ?
In the AfterUpdate event procedure of the ComboBox:
Me![phone number control name] = Me![combo name].Column(1)

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

That almost works. If I leave off the .Column(1), I get the info in the Combo Name box. If I add the .Column(1), I get nothing. I tried .Column(2) since the phone number is in Column 2. That doesn't work. Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Chris

the phone number is in Column 2
The Column collection is option base 0, so the 2nd column is Column(1).

Hope This Helps, PH.

That doesn't work with the Column(1). Any more suggestions?

PHV,

Thanks for your help. I figured out what was happening. I had the datebase pulling information from a different query and trying to get the VB Script to work as well. I created a test database to see if it would really work and it did. That is how I found out it was a query/VB Script conflict.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back