Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Name not recognized in the GAL 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

1nterpol

IS-IT--Management
Apr 2, 2007
IE
Exchange 2K3 SP2 in Win 2K/2K3 Mixed mode A/D

I noticed a problem initially when I was creating a mailbox at the the user level in AD. Normally after a minute or so, email addreses would be created automatically. After 1 day, I created them manually including the X.400 address. Outlook will not let me create a profile because it does not recognize the user from the GAL. I can see the user in the GAL from System Manager in Exchange but not at the Outlook client level. If I hide/unhide the user from the GAL in AD, I can see this change in System Manager ok.
I have 50 odd users working perfectly well with Outlook, but I appear to be capped from adding more !!

Any ideas ?

In user properties, Exchagne Advanced tab, is "Hide from Exchange Address lists" checked? If it does, outlook can't find the user mailbox.

First, if a user account isn't getting an SMTP and x400 address stamped on them after a reasonable amount of time (15 minutes or so), you need to look into THAT problem first.

The Offline Address Book, which is used by Outlook 2003 and later clients when in cached mode, is generated once a day. Outlook only downloads it once a day, and that could be before it's generated at the server. So, in theory, it can take up to 2 days before Outlook sees it (assuming cached mode). This has been discussed ad-nauseum here, and would have turned up in a simple search.

Can you see it in OWA?

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP

The problem has been resolved. The Recipient Update Service was pointing to an Exchange server that was de-commissioned. As soon as I added in the correct Exchange server for this service, bingo...the GAL reflected all names from the Outlook client and I could check name no problem.

That aside, OWA was letting the user logon for accessing the mailbox even with the GAL issue. And I could send the user an email from Outlook if I manually entered in the X.400 address. But these were never alternatives, just what I noticed while addressing the original issue.

HI,
I am having a similar problem. The new users are not seen in the GAL on the users computers. But:
1. They can send and recieve email, setting up thier outlook was no problem at all.
2. I can see the users in the GAL in the ESM.
3. I can see the users in OWA
4. If I change a user's computer from cached mode the names will turn up in the GAL on the computer. But if I put the user back in cached mode and run a "send and recive" on the address book the new users aren't present in the list.

Any idea on what to try next ?

Sure - try reading my post above. Not only did you thread-jack, but you didn't even read the thread, which would have likely answered your question (as would any of the countless other threads here that address this issue).

Microsoft Exchange MVP

sorry to have offended your delicate sensibilities but I have a problem to try and solve. Thats what we do here help each other solve problems.So if you would like to help, my attempted searches for GAL or global address list come up blank. where are these discussions you are talking about. I'd like to read them and try some of the solutions.

Are you also saying that I have no choice but to wait for 2 days for any changes to be seen in outlook in cached mode.

NATCAT said:
Are you also saying that I have no choice but to wait for 2 days for any changes to be seen in outlook in cached mode.

Not completely - just that that is how it is by default. Since the OAB is rebuilt once per day, and it's downloaded by Outlook once per day, it's completely likely it could take up to two days depending on which action happens first.

You could configure the Default OAB for a custom update interval, and have it run a couple of times per day. But you'd still have the issue of Outlook grabbing the new copy only once a day. That's by design, as helps keep bandwidth usage lower.

Microsoft Exchange MVP

Thanks 58sniper. My problem was also resolved by waiting 2 days.
But to avoid the problem from happening again I'll configure the OAB update schedule to update more often.

I'm having a similar problem with 3 users. The user mailbox is created and can be seen by OWA but cannot be setup in Outlook. The user does not appear in GAL and ADSI Edit shows the showInAddressBook attribute as not set.

I've sort of finessed the problem by creating similarly named uses and giving my non-GAL users full access and control to the mailboxes of the "proxies" I have created for them. Works fairly well but not the correct answer.

Can anyone help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back