Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Name for the area under a curve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welshbird

IS-IT--Management
Jul 14, 2000
DE
Is there as specific name for this? My colleague and I can't find one, but I thought you guys must know.

Fee

"The cure for anything is salt water – sweat, tears, or the sea." Isak Dinesen

I do believe the technical term is 'area under a curve'. But most laymen just call it the area under a curve.

Hope this helps. :-D

I used to rock and roll every night and party every day. Then it was every other day. Now I'm lucky if I can find 30 minutes a week in which to get funky. - Homer Simpson

Arrrr, mateys! Ye needs ta be preparin' yerselves fer Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Thanks for that then.

Yes.

Hmm.

As my colleague is Mr Marianos we are going to call it the Marianos coefficient then.

Fee

==> Marianos coefficient
Why coefficient? What is the coefficient multiplying?

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

In maths that is called the "definite integral" if memory serves me right.

HTH,

p5wizard

Er, nope, it isn't.

A definite integral is one which comes out to a calculable answer. Definite integrals are often used to calculate the area between specified lines (e.g. the horizontal axis and a curve) but it by no means is the name thereof.

Regards

T

As I recall from Statistics (many years ago), it is indeed called the area under the curve. :)

Greg
People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use. Kierkegaard

If the curve is defined by a mathematical function, then 'Integral' or 'Riemann Integral' may be acceptable

Hmmm.... my name for being under the curve was a "C-"...

Think Grade curve if that was too obtuse.

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Holy crap... can I stop a conversation cold or what? ;)

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Fair enough - It can't be a coefficient.

Marianos ******

Help us out chaps!

Fee

How about Marianos Differential? Its actually the net area between a curve and a line in this case...

Fee

I'd stay away from differential as well. When dealing with functions, the differential measures the changes in the linear nature of functions.

I think that strongm's suggestion of 'Riemann Integral' makes the most sense since that's the formula used to calculate the area under the curve. Just as
[π]r[sup]2[/sup] = Area of a circle with radius r
[∫][sub]a[/sub][sup]b[/sup] f(x) dx = Area under the curve created by the function f(x) from point a to point b. That is a Reimann Integral.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

A shadow?

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

You could probably call it the area of a bounded region - unless, of course, you prefer to call it the area under a curve.

When I was a teenager, my mother taught me that the specific name for "the area under a curve" is abbreviated DNT...Do Not Touch <grin>.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]
“Beware of those that seek to protect you from harm or risk. The cost will be your freedoms and your liberty.”

I had a teacher in high school who called it The Landscape. I haven't heard that term for it since.

When we were told to calculate the area under the curve, I heard it called a lot of names! [purpleface]

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

Welshbird, perhaps you can call it "The Marianos area". It sounds very specific.
Dixiematic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back