Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NAM upgrade CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daveyboy2

Technical User
Jun 6, 2002
US
I just got a NAM upgrade CD to go from a 4.0.4e, but haven't the foggiest how to install this bad boy. I do have a backpack CD rom, and all that stuff, but don't really know where to go from there. Any thoughts? Thanks!!

Oh yeah, I also may need a NAM power supply, if anyone has a contact out there for some. -= Beer is food! Is it suppertime? =-
If ya like the info on the posts - rate them helpful!

There should be a boot flopy as well, if not brouse the cd and make one. powerdown nam, insert boot flopy in disk drive, connect backpack and insert cd. plug power in and let run. at the end of approx 10-15 min there should be 4 acending tones. If after 2-5 min you get 4 decending tones the upgrade failed and you will more than likley need a keycode.

Read the book. Tells you step by step. install the security key code. Enter the install key. reboot the NAM with the boot floppy provided with cdrom attached. should take about 30-45 minutes. should give you some tones. then reboot.

I got the book, but the boot disk won't work. It says the NTLDR is missing. Seems like the boot disk I have isn't workin right.

I got the file from Brian, but it's not bootable?

thanks for the help! -= Beer is food! Is it suppertime? =-

what speed is your CD Backpack? The boot disk may have drivers for a different speed. I had a similar issue when upgrading a NAM, I had to call ITAS and have them e-mail me different drivers.

I've got a 4x speed. I checked the floppy - it all works OK it seems. -= Beer is food! Is it suppertime? =-

I know what my problem is, the VMBOOT.IMZ is corrupt (on my CD), and the floppy won't boot. Anyone have this file? the one's I have received won't create a bootable working diskette.

thanks! -= Beer is food! Is it suppertime? =-

The image I sent may have the active device driver for the 32X Backpack that I have. The file is Bpcdos2.add. The older driver is also on the disk image, Bpcdos2.old. Try renaming the older driver so it had the .add extension and try it again. I am going to test my boot disk here to make sure it works, and I'll keep you updated. Brian Cox
J & J Communications
brian@jandjcommunications.com

I just made a new boot disk from the same image I posted to our web site and it worked fine. Again, I would suggest trying to use the other Backpack CD driver on the disk and give that a try. Brian Cox
J & J Communications
brian@jandjcommunications.com

Got it to work, but I now have desending tones after the upgrade, and it doesn't look like the upgrade worked.

The boot disk worked, the CD worked, but it doesn't seem to want to write to the drive.

Thanks for your help by the way! -= Beer is food! Is it suppertime? =-

While the nam accesses the cd and appears to upgrade, if you receive decending tones, you have not upgraded. (you knew this..)there is still another 10 minuts or more of data to be written. you probably will require a keycode in order to upgrade. not the news you were looking for...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back