Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NAM failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbbilbo

IS-IT--Management
Jul 15, 2002
US
Installed an MICS-XC Rls. 5.0 with an 8-channel NAM (think it's 4.0) 35 days ago. Three times now, the NAM has completely shut down for no apparent reason. All call attempts to the auto attendant were "ring no answer." My tech, inputting feature 981 or 985, got no response. To restore service, we simply had to power off/on, and everything came back fine. My distributor says he's never heard such a thing. Just trying to find out if others have experienced the same thing. We have a similar problem with another NAM, earlier version. Thanks.

I would tell your supplier to replace it. But before you relinquish it make a copy of the database (if there is a floppy drive in it). Sounds to me like it will one day not re-boot.

I have heard of problem if; unit is going bad or power problems. I always recomend a UPS(battery backup). I would backup system. Have electrician test power and ground of outlet. Good Luck!!

THIS IS NOT A BAD UNIT! I had a similar problem with a recent upgrade I did for a MICS 5.0 with NAM 4.0. I had EXACTLY the same functionality problem that could only be corrected by a 4.0 patch disk that my vendor had to send to me to correct. This is a known software error problem and whoever sold you the unit should be able to supply you the patch disK to fix. It was nice to know that I was not really losing my mind and that it was a correctable software issue that did not require replacing the unit on my install/ upgrade.

Let me know what happens.

Rich
Voice Plus

I am the tech working on the system...
I have already installed the MICS 5 Mailbox Answerpatch.zip that I recieved from the vendor and I have a UPS on the system. Now what? Thanks.

Be sure you do a sekur file back up.... to protect your channels when you get it up between problems. Contact the vendor as stated before. Seems like a bad unit to me. It happens and isn't so rare for someone to say they've never heard of it. Kinda lame...... darnold@americaii.com

It is a software problem. Newer NAM's are compatible with older MICS, but not the other way around. Just upgrade the software on your MICS and you'll be on your way. Good luck!

Huh?
First, there isn't a newer software version of MICS than what tommyjoe already has (5.0).
Second, MICS 5.0 is quite compatible with NAM 4.0 (with the addition of the redirect DN patch) as well as the FLASH 2.0 AND the older FLASH sw 1.9.

If anyone needs the latest and greatest Norstar Compatibility Matrix, please email me and I will be glad to send it to anyone who needs it! MRoberts
mroberts@americaii.com
If you find a tip helpful, please mark it as such.

I would have to agree at this point...replace the unit! The software patch should have did it. I have heard of the software patch sometimes flawless in installing, and sometimes not. Save yourself further wasted time and money and replace the unit.

Rich

I had the same problem with my nam 4. I read all the posts, even replaced the chassis with another unit.

It turned out to be the disk drive that was slowly dying. When you get this condition, you get absolutely no notices from either the NAM or from OS/2.

I pulled out my hair for a month before I finally broke down and changed the drive. It was dying every day or so until then and now, I have been up solid since 8/8/2002.

You should not only backup your Sekur file (keycodes) but F983 - 22 will backup your entire configuration which you can restore to a new drive with a F983 - 33. The only thing you will loose is the actual voicemail that the users have in their boxes.

If you cant get a replacement drive for your unit, you can email me offline.

I was told yesterday by the vendor they would send a replacement NAM by the middle of next week. The problem NAM is only a few months old so we feel like they should replace the unit under warranty. The only thing is I asked the vendor if the replacement would be a new one or referb and got a not sure answer. I feel it should be new as we had problems with the present NAM within a couple weeks of install. What does everyone else think?

My company in particular would replace it with a new unit if you purchased a new unit. All of our equipment comes with a 2 year warranty. But that's just my company.....

Melissa Roberts
A1 Teletronics
Technical Service Center
mroberts@americaii.com MRoberts
mroberts@americaii.com
If you find a tip helpful, please mark it as such.

I'd be replacing the unit now, too. BUT - if that doesn't fix it, I'd be looking carefully at the incoming power. UPSs are fine, but sags and spikes go right through them unless they're the zero-switching-time (always-on) line conditioner / UPS. Those are a lot more expensive than the $59 bucks at Circuit City kind.

We had a system that crashed 3 times a day - first thing AM, noon, and quitting time. Turned out to be sag/spike caused by a really old factory bell system tied to the timeclock, together with a 35-volt floating conduit ground. We got an electrician to clean up the incoming power, and the system hasn't crashed in 2 years now.

We found it by renting a Dranetz recording power line monitor and left it for a day. Ran out a whole roll of tape in that time. Easy to fix, once we figured out the problem. After the electrican fixed it, we left the monitor for a week and only had the startup and shutdown entries on the tape, and no system crashes. Howard Dingman
Pro-Tel Communications
Endicott, NY 13760
mailto:hdingman@holocom.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back