Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NAM 4.0 and Voice Mail Manager 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

randall5

Vendor
Mar 20, 2002
US
Greetings-

I just installed a NAM 4.0 on a MICS to replace a Startalk. The install went fine, but I was trying to connect the laptop to the serial port and use VoiceMail Manager. I setup the direct connection through Dial-Up Networking and it logged onto the NAM. When I tried to use NVM, it never ran the application. I tried to connect to all of the given IP addresses and used the correct admin password, but nothing. When I went into the NAM manually through a phone and got to the options screen, the only available entry was "4 channels". Is it possible that NVM is not enabled or does not reside on the NAM? Also, incoming callers to uninitialized mailboxes are told the mailbox cannot receive any messages and are disconnected. Is not the NAM supposed to send them to the operator or Gen. Deliv.?

Randy

Brian-

After some investigation, it seems that the NAM came refurb without the NVM server software loaded. What soes it take to load the server portion, and is there any other way to program the NAM? I know that I have programmed the NAM ver. 2 with a direct serial connection. THere is no Windows GUI, but it works.

Thanks for your input, Randy

I've never seen one that I wasn't able to connect to with NVM. I normally connect through a modem, so I'm not familiar with connecting through a serial port. I know Nortel has their own pinout for the serial port. Are you using NVM version 4 to connect? Sorry I can't be more help.

Brian Cox

Yes, I am using NVM 4. Also, when you go into F915 and get to the options menu, the only option shown is the number of ports. Usually, it would say NVM Manager. That's why I think the server program is not there.

Randy

Randy,

Hi, I'm new to this group (just joined today) but I've been installing PBX/KEY systems for 16 years. I have never seen a DOS version of the Norstar Voicemail Manager software, is this what's required to program a NAM rev 2.1 ? If so, where might I find it?

The problem I have right now is the password expiry interval assigned in the COS. My understanding is that parameter can only be changed via external laptop connection. Any insight on this (from anyone that is) ?

Thanks,
Pat

So your voicemail unit is not responding at all or it will only give you limited information?
What are you trying to accomplish, maybe I can help.
On the NAM 4.0 you do not have to connect through the serial port but can through the virtual modem depending on what you wanted to do. That is why I wanted to know what your intensions were. General Programming or class of service edits, etc?

Thtek
[ponytails2]

My primary objective is to alter the password expiry time on COS1 to unlimited/no-expire.

Virtual modem ?

Phoneguy65,
On your 2.1 NAM, all you need is a NULL serial cable and run a VT100 session to COM 1 using:
9600 baud
8 data bits
1 stop bit
no parity
Once connected, press RETURN once or twice and you should see a prompt to select language. Select the language you want to use, then the first password will be ADMIN.
To start the VOICEMAIL ADMINISTRATION software, the password will be SYSMGR.
That should get you going.

MarvO said it

When I call the modem on the unit with Hyperterm, I get connected at 14.4 and am met with the following prompt:

OS2You 3.2 Remote (c) 1995 by Ridax programutveckling
Registered/Distributed by: Indelible Blue / #5499

Enter user name:

I tried (username/password):
ADMIN/SYSMGR
admin/sysmgr
CONFIG/CONFIG
NAMACCESS/LOG2NAM
ADMIN/ADMIN

All without success. Does anyone recognize this login screen?

Thanks for the suggestion MarvO, but I'm wondering if we're on slightly differing releases here as my unit does not ask you to select a language. Any other suggestions or username/password suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks!
Pat

Brian,

No luck, I actually already tried that combo in both upper and lowercase already. I should have indicated that more clearly in my previous post.

Thanks anyway!
Pat

MarvO,

Okay, I am now using a direct connection to the serial port and am getting prompted for a language. I select '1' for English and hit return.

Then it returns with:

Enter QUIT

and for all intents and purposes locks up and becomes non-responsive.

Any other suggestions?

Okay, I rebooted the unit and this time I am in to the configuration session. (this is lightyears ahead of where I was yesterday at this time! Thanks MarvO)

However, this has given rise to a new problem:
The COS password expiry option only allows you set the number of days from a minimum of 1 day to a maximum of 365. There appears to be no entry for 'never' expire.

The NAM is a rev2.2 if this relavent.

Thanks again,
Pat

There are only 16 classes of service, so i do not believe I can arbitrarily create more, but I will try tomorrow.

Yes, I tried:
zero
no
none
n
-1 (yep, minus 1, just for the heck of it)

all to no avail, the software will only accept a positive integer between 1 and 365.

I shudder to think 2.2 does not support 'no expiry' as a setting.

By the way, does anyone know what the default modem username/password is for a VT100 dialup session?

Also, what would be required to upgrade to a 3.x or possibly a 4.x ? (other than a complete drive swap out.)

Thanks again,
Pat

Password Expiring
On 2.20 systems the COS can be modified to expire after 365 days.
On 3.0 systems the COS can be modified to never expire.

NAM II G
The NAM II G requires Norstar Voice Mail Manager to modify COS. To verify if Norstar Voice Mail Manager is installed
Press Feature 983
Enter the system cordinator password.
Enter 44
Press VIEW
Press NEXT
If NVM Manager shows up system has Norstar Voice Mail Manager Enabled.
See Norstar Quick Tips : 980929.1

Hmmm, so it looks like I'm going to have to upgrade it to a 3.0 or better still a 4.0.

Thanks.

Pat MacKinnon
Omni telecommunications Inc.,
London, Ontario, Canada
omnitel-ca

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back