Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nam 3.0 upgrade to 4.1 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodguys

Technical User
Apr 9, 2007
US
Is the Nam back up procedure to upgrade from 3.0 to 4.1 F915 p/w access 2 then insert 3x5 disk until it says complete. then F983 passwords then enter 22, go to back u, then insert disks until it says complete? Then replace the old drive with the new 4.1 drive. Thank you again.

I am upgrading the Nam to 4.1 from 3.0 because we are upgrading the MICS software from Rls1-T1 to 5.0 and found that the VM upgrade is a must when u do that. I was told by the Nortel parts supplier that to upgrade The Nam from 3.0 to 4.1 he said i need to buy a new hard drive from him and that is what i did and have it on hand now. Did i not need the the new hard drive? Can u upgrade a working Nam 3.0 to 4.1 with out purchasing a new hard drive? Thank you very much

There is a kit with a cd and floppy disk. You use a piggy back cd-rom drive. I think that your hard drive must be at least 480 meg .

All you are doing is a back up on a 3.0 nam..once you replace it with the 4.1 hard drive you will have a blank system and a backup that you can NOT use on the 4.1 nam.The upgrade procedure includes using a backpack for the 4.1 software and a boot disk for the nam

Under F915 you will backup the configuration file which stores your installed channels info. After booting up the new hard drive you'll restore the backup to enable your channels.

A backup of the voicemail is done under F983, dial 22 for backup and 33 for restore. But the backup of a R3.0 NAM cannot be restored to a R4.1 NAM. You'll have to reprogram.

Brian Cox

~Wow~ now i'm somewhat confused. The Nortel person i talked with told me it was as simple as backing up the info on the old Nam sftwre 3.0 remove old hard drive install new 4.1 drive. Then do a restore to add all the saved data like mailboxes and CCR tree to the 4.1 upgrade. Only thing she indicated that u would lose is the saved messages, so told me to inform the users to clean out their saved messages in their mailboxes.
"Phasesplitter" says the size of my hard drive? Dont understand??
"Lugerlover" says i can not add the old/current built mailboxes on to the new 4.1 hard drive?
"Exsmogger" says i can not transfer current 3.0 info to 4.1 upgrade?
Did the Nortel tech support Gal lead me wrong? Sure sounds like it. Thank you all.

The only way I know to save programming in a situation like this is to do an upgrade to the R3.0 hard drive which involves an upgrade CD, a NAM boot disk, and a Backpack CD-ROM.

My experience has been that the data gets corrupted when restoring lower release backups to higher release voicemails, but you may have better luck. Give it a try and let us know what happens. At worst you'll have to reprogram the new hard drive.

Brian Cox

i beleive the voice compression is different.The info/test data is saved but all recording will be scrambled

I've done restore of older backup to newer NAM version and
it did work. The only time it failed was trying to restore
a NAM Dvc(copper) backup to a NAM Ms-Bic(fiber) version.
So you might want to give it a try before reprogramming from
scratch.

I think u all are probably all very accurate in your experience with this. WOW ! what an adventure i just had! end result i got it to work but i rhink i will do more research bfore i do this again. I backed up the in use Nam 3.0 sekur file for the channels F915, then the F983 and 22. Replaced old 3.0 drive with new 4.1 drive. powered up, then F983 266344, F915 restore load disk, F983 33 loaded disks, Everything went perfect EVERYTHING ws saved, greeting, Ccr tree and all M-Boxes! I was there half hour and was planning my friday night! Well Guess what........ call line 1 of only a 3 analog line system 8 person small office. The company greeting now says please enter your mailbox and password! No friggin way!! believe me i checked every setting! Services, F982, AA lines, Grtg table CCr tre enebled, i checked everything. built a diff grtg and grtg table and diff Ccr tree it still said enter mailbox and password when calling in! and everything was there! i didnt chg anything prior it should have just came up! the only thing i could think of was maybe i had a bad or dirty floppy disk? i put the old 3.0 back in and re-backed it up on diff disks, put the 4.1 back in did a restore...... and it worked came up perfect! something is still corrupt tho or not right i think...... here was my BIG BIG mistake......i powered it down or attempted to after i had it all working to put the face and cover back on after all the testing. Did a graceful power down...... didnt here the chime that it was done or ready to pull the power plug......... a couple minutes of waiting it did the musical notes and retarted back up before i could pull the power........ everything was lost AGAIN! you call in to the main line .... and it was right back where it was "plz enter ext and PW. I knew the disks were good so i did a F983 re-install re-loaded the disks... it came up perfect again, i didnt touch a thing and got the HELL out of there! If u have a way that works for u..... do it ! :)
I sure hope this helps someone some day. Regards

Curious. Finished a 3.0 to 4.1 NAM upgrade today. Had backed up system using F983 and 22 prior. Restored after having upgrade done by outside vendor. Everything seemed to be working fine. Now you have me wondering if might want to check everything again.

Was out on site today. Here's what I seemed to see.
Day 1. Had NAM 3.0 backup disks with 4.1 Upgraded NAM. Installed disks worked perfectly.
Today had to upgrade phone system so had to power down. This is where the problem occurs. From this point on I cannot get NAM to answer Trunks with Greeting. Tried multiple Re-installs. Nothing. Then did Feature 983 1 to re-install. Still couldn't not get to answer trunks. Powered down. Now would answer trunks. Put in 3.0 disks. Restored. Would still answer trunks.
In summary. If you've installed 3.0 disks and power down you will NOT be able to get trunks to answer even with Re-install system. You will need to re-install, THEN power down THEN use disks to get to be able to answer. If at any point it loses power you're right back to beginning. Something in boot process after installing 3.0 disks is NOT ALLOWING Trunks to answer. These were loop start lines. Not sure if same would apply to DID/PRI. Not sure if any settings or anything to change. Actually should have looked to see if Trunk Answer set to Y. Assume it was.

When u called the main number, what were u getting in error? Ring no answer? What I was getting was like u got the AA and pressed ** to check your messages asking u to add your extension and password to continue. Weird aay!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back