Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NAL problem with MS patch 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lgnihlman

MIS
Dec 5, 2002
SE
I've set up an app. object to install ms03-026 patch but
I can't get it to install automatically.

In "Run options/Application" tab it looks like this:

Path to file:
\\SH01\SYS1\APPS\MS-Patch\KB823980.exe

Parameters:
-u -z

This works fine if I start the application manually from NAL on the workstation.

But I want to display a message before installation so I use the settings on the "Distribution options/Options" tab and have the "Distribute always" box checked.
What happens is that the info message is displayed but the .exe file is never run, I get the reboot message immediately.

It does not matter if use "Run as secure system user" or
"Run as unsecure system user" the problem is the same.

Why is this, what am I doing wrong here ?

Regards
lgnihlman

The way i got round this and also the latest patch 039 is to create an app, no aot etc. store the file in a folder in public.
path z:\patch\filename.exe
target directory = z:\patch
no parameters.
set availability options on properties of app to run if a file exists ie; a date of file. For -039 I used ole32.dll.
Also set operating system less than 5 if for winnt 4.0
Associate with containers of users and select users in container.
use run once option.
It installs and reboots PC just once. Works fine.
You could put a message in script with a pause if you want to display a message.
Hope this helps.

i think there may be some issues with using an UNC path. I use similar to novellman but also use sayit.exe to pop up an dialog box in the RUN BEFORE LAUNCHING scripts section.
sayit is freeware downloadable from one of the cool solutions site.

Couldn't get the suggestion from "novellman" to work in my system.
So I ended up writing a little .exe file that displays a message to my users and this .exe only has an OK button that
starts the KB823980.exe file with the -u -f switches.

The Application object uses my .exe file and I'm using the "Ron once" option.

This works very well but I have to use UNC names in the Application object in order to get it to work, it will not work using a mapped drive letter.

I'm using ZfD 4.0 so maybe my problems will disappear after installing SP1b on my server and agents.......

Regards
lgnihlman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back