Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

N3600 CANNOT DETECT DISKS URGENT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mandeepi

Technical User
Jan 4, 2008
GB
Hi,

I am setting up an N3600 connected to a single EXN4000 expansion that is fully populated with disks. However the N3600 has no disks in it at all.

When turning on the device I cannot really proceed through any of the setup because it is not detecting any disks.

Why cant it detect any disks?????????

I have followed the cabling guidelines in the N3600 installation & setup instructions. I have done troubleshooting with the cables, sfp's and changed the speed of the shelf 2/4gb and this hasn't helped.

Do the first 3 disks need to be in the filer itself??? Surley it should be able to just pick them off the expansion module?

This is urgent as I only have 5hrs to resolve this befor my ass is grass

the box will see only disks that it owns
check with disk show -v and use disk assign to assign disks.
with a netapp who has internal disks, bay 0 and 1 should be populated.

rgds,

R.

Hi, Thanks for the reply.

I'm sorry I wasnt very clear before, its not actually detecting any disks attached to the system so disk show naturally shows no disks present.

Theres no local disks, they are all in the exn4000.

There is a yellow warning light on the n3600 itself which I'm unsure how i can find out information about it, im currently playing around in maintanence mode.

did a fcadmin config to discover both fc ports 0a and 0b are showing as offline.

During initial boot i do get errors like fc.initialization error cn. something error... those are not the correct error names however. (googling the correct ones brings up ziltch).

Thanks for your help thus far

are the ports set as target or as initiator ?That could be a reason as well why he doesnt see any disks.Is the drawer OK ? Have you changed fibercable ? Is there a redundant connection to the drawer, or just a single ? If a single, perhaps the JBIC is broken,or controller on shelf.

rgds,
R.

I Think your onto something, is this correct???

> *> fcadmin config

Local
Adapter Type State Status
---------------------------------------------------
0a target CONFIGURED offline
0b target CONFIGURED offline

Also the error messages upon boot are below...

Fri Jan 4 15:51:53 GMT [fci.initialization.failed:error]: Initialization failed torig
Local System ID: 135023843 Megatrends, Inc. Al
side

cf.rv.notConnected:error]: Connection for cfo_rv failedt Adapter
0x41d3fa3/5 Entry at 0x00200000i Jan 4 14:06:37 GMT [nvram.ba
Starting program at 0x00200000

Which port type should it be set too???

Also theres a second FC card in the filer itself, i think this should be used to connect to the disk shelf and the onboard internal ports 0a/b should be connected to the 2 san switches????

Thanks for all your help

euuh, the ports should be configured as initiator if you are attaching disks to them ...
from maintenance mode :
fcadmin config -t 0a initiator
fcadmin config -t 0b initiator
reboot

rgds,

R.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back