Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mysterious Report Printing from SCO system

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSBSI

IS-IT--Management
Jan 12, 2011
US
Two of my customers occasionally report mysterious printing. In other words, a long report starts to print and no "owns up" to starting it.

Both systems are alike: SCO 5.0.7 (Fairly new), Wyse150 terminals, Okidata printers running from serial ports. We are printing directly to the printers -- we are not using the SCO printer spoolers. The application software is an AcuCobol accounting package.

Any ideas about how to prevent this mysterious printing from re-occurring?

Graham

The best option would be to configure the application to use the spooler and you'd have logs. But, you already know that. The other option I can think of is to check the processes running on the serial port at the time a print job is running. If the job is finished, you are probably out of luck.

You'll need to know which port runs the OKI. For example, it might by /dev/ttya03. Run this command:
# fuser -u /dev/ttya03

You could build yourself a little script to run that command and send the results to a text file, then sleep a bit, and run it again. The text file will get large, but it might be a way to catch the culprit.

"Proof that there is intelligent life in Oregon. Well, Life anyway.

Thanks, Motoslide, I'll drive that around the block!

Graham (MSBSI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back