Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mysterious problem with Access on small network with WinXP and 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

426Hemi

Technical User
May 2, 2002
US
Does anyone know of any conflicts between XP and Win98 when accessing a database over the network? I only have a two station network, directly connected, no hub. My application was running fine for several days and now the Win98 cpu cannot access the database on the XP machine. I tried one of my backups, and the Win98 unit could access the backup but not the most current "live" version of the data. Access runs fine on the XP machine until I try to open the same file from the Win98 CPU. I noticed an Access.LOCK file stays after exiting the backup from the Win98 machine. If I try to open the same backup file that worked on the 98 machine when on XP, Access locks up and basically crashes the computer. Seems very strange to me for this to happen all of a sudden. I don't know if I am explaining this clearly but I am new on Access and not sure what else to try. I did see about splitting the database. Does anyone believe I should perhaps create a new database, import all tables, queries, etc., and then split the database? Any ideas would be appreciated....thanks..

Craig

I am using Win2k and Win98 and have similar problems. If I use the Win98 machine, no problem. If I use the Win2k machine, it 'loses' the db, or thinks it is locked. Then I have to open and close the file with the Win98 machine to straighten it out.

I believe this is a known bug peculiar to Access97-Win2k, and MS takes the stance that you "should" be using Access2k or higher, but I can't remember whether I found that on the MS KB or on Tek-tips, and I can't seem to find it again with the search engines, so maybe not. But I do have the problem.

Ron

Thanks for the response. The mystery continues today. I made a new database, imported the existing data from the most current copy I have, and then created a shortcut from the Win98 machine to the host, the XP machine. Lo and behold it worked. I then went to the XP machine and accessed the new copy of the database, and again, it worked. So, I felt I was in the clear finally. Until I tried to access the data again from the Win98 machine. I got a message stating the path was invalid, which of course is impossible due to the fact that it just worked a minute ago. Going through Windows Explorer on Win98, I can browse the directory on the XP machine, and see the database. When I click on it I get the same message. Through it all, it works fine on the XP machine, and once on the Win98, after that, it does not. The only possible problem I can see is that the XP machine has a fast ethernet card (100MPS) and the Win98 unit has a regular 10/100 card. Both machines are running Access 2000 so I am leaning towards this being a network problem or perhaps the different operating systems.....any ideas?

Unfortunately this is an OS error, not an error within Access itself. It is the way the system creates and tracks the locking file.
I have run into this a few times as due to the instability problems with 2K for use as a "back-end data table system" I frequently set the back as 97 and the front as 2K. The I will install it and the client is using 98on some machines and 2K on others. For some reason upping the 98 to Me does seem to solve the issue. Why?
Anyway, best of luck!

Rhonin
"seppuku is a very messy option"

Yes, Rhonin's right, the OS mishandles the locking file. MS, so far as I know, takes the position, "Well, don't do that, then. Buy even more of our stuff." Arggh.

Ron

Can I make a suggestion. We are running differet versions of windows here but not quite the same as you. What I would try would be to split the data and the application. Put the data on the win98 machiine and then link the application to it from the two machines running their own copies of the from end app.

Thank you all for your help. I recently switched the data to the Win98 machine and now all is well. I am quickly learning how MS can make you look silly in a hurry with these quirky problems that can arise. Again,thank you for your insight.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back