Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mysterious Icons On Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

fourls

Technical User
Oct 18, 2001
US
Hi:

Got a new project for the New Year. Two icons appear on my desktop: "story 2" and "headings." I right-clicked, checked Properties, but all that I find is "unknown" in the Application section. I is a .dat file; therefore I tried opening the file in Word, but I could not get it open there.

Does anyone know how I can trap these files to determine what application is generating them?

Thanks,

Fourls

Just rename em or copy em elsewhere, and if all your applications all still work ok, then you can delete em.

Hi,Lando2:

Hey, did you notice that I said that I had deleted them. That is not the question. Preventing them from returning is.
Thanks,

Fourls

Hey, fourls chill. You didn't say you deleted them.
The two rules for success are:
1. Never tell them everything you know.

If you can reproduce the creation or if it happens occasionally you might try some kind of PC activity monitoring tool to capture whats happening on your PC. search google for activity monitor, spyware.
The two rules for success are:
1. Never tell them everything you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back