Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mysterious Default Printer Switching

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triage

Technical User
Jun 23, 2003
US
I have a user running an XPSP2 desktop on our network and connected to three network printers. The default printer choice keeps changing to one of the non-default network printers after the user sends a couple of print jobs to it. The user can change the default setting back manually, but it eventually reverts back to this one printer after a few uses. No other users are experiencing this issue.

Any ideas as to what is going on?

"I enjoyed my youth so much that I decided to bring it along with me."
-GC

Does it revert to the same printer? Try removing the printer through the net print command. Just a guess, was this printer added as a batch file to all pcs on your network?

Run printing commands from the command prompt -
=========================================
“You can actually become a role model for women.” - Jenna Jameson :)

Yes, the same printer keeps 'taking' the default status, but no, this network printer was not added by batch file (that might have explained a few things, though).

-GC

Try the Net Print Delete command.

=========================================
“You can actually become a role model for women.” - Jenna Jameson :)

The chances are that one of the applications the user is running is switching the default printer and forgetting to switch it back. Some older programs, especially VB6 and Access VBA applications, were written for Windows 98 which had no simple means of selecting a specific printer so all you could do was make the printer that was required the default printer and then send stuff to it. Well behaved programs then restored the original default but not everybody was that well behaved.

Bob Boffin

Your problem may be the user is having problems staying connected to that printer. When they try to print, they get an error message saying printer not available, do you want to go to the next, they click ok and that will change their default.

See if you get any ideas from these?

XP pro not saving default printer or current home page settings

The default printer in the host computer changes when you logon using Remote Desktop?

Batch file to SET DEFAULT PRINTER

Changing a User's Default Printer in the Registry

Lock 'set as default printer'
thread779-1165677

I believe Bob is on the right track as I asked the user if the print jobs that switched the default status originated from a certain program. Indeed they did: a laboratory instrument interface app that enables the user to print out a status report based on data analysis. We sent it to other printers on the network and sure enough, the target printer automatically became the new default printer on that workstation.

Now, how do I block this action?

Thanks!

-GC

A replacement program (or update to fix the current application) that doesn't have this undesired action.

As a workaround a Schedule Task or batch file, to reset the Default Printer, that runs as often as you need it to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back