Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MySQL

Status
Not open for further replies.

khue

Programmer
Mar 6, 2001
US
I am installing mod_auth_mysql which is a http-Basic Authentication Module. It allows to maintain your user comfortable in a MySQL-Database.

I've downloaded the source from ftp://ftp.kciLink.com/pub/mod_auth_mysql.c.gz

I've tried to follow the steps detailed by:

section: 3.7.3. Building and installing. These are the actual steps:

gunzip mod_auth_mysql.c.gz

/usr/local/apache/bin/apxs -c -I/usr/local/mysql/include -L/usr/local/mysql/lib/mysql -lmysqlclient -lm mod_auth_mysql.c

cp mod_auth_mysql.so /usr/local/apache/libexec

And these are the errors I got:

cannot find -lmysqlclient
ld returned 1 exit status
command faild with rc=1

when I execute this command:

/usr/local/apache/bin/apxs -c -I/usr/local/mysql/include -L/usr/local/mysql/lib/mysql -lmysqlclient -lm mod_auth_mysql.c

I'm stuck and is there a solution to this?

where is /sbin/ldconfig located?

That is the full pathname to 'ldconfig' if you 'su -' to root, you don't have to specify the full path. I am in the habit of always specifying the full path to commands.

If you are logged in as root, simply type 'ldconfig'

Bruce Garlock
bruceg@tiac.net

Okay. I did that. It did something but what did it actually do? Now, if I re-execute those commands to build and install the mod_auth_mysql, will this solve my previous problem?

I still get the same error. I can't launch MySQL anymore.

the error is:

cannot find -lmysqlclient
ld returned 1 exit status
command faild with rc=1

What is: cannot find -lmysqlclient? Is it looking for the MySQL Client tool? I have the MySql Client version 3.23.49a rpm installed. What is this error really looking for?

It may, is there a configure script that you run? If so, you may need to supply something like: './configure --with-mysql=/usr/local'

Do a 'man ldconfig' for more information on ldconfig and /etc/ld.so.conf

Bruce Garlock
bruceg@tiac.net

Well, according to the step at:

section: 3.7.3. Building and installing

This is the command to execute:

It doesn't have a configure script to run. The file: mod_auth_mysql.c is a C file.

This is too complicated to setup Apache with MySQL and PHP.

What distribution / version?
Do you have the mysqlclient package installed?

On my Redhat box:
[root@mybox /root]# rpm -qa | grep mysql
mysql-devel-3.23.36-1
mysqlclient9-3.23.22-4
mysql-3.23.36-1
mysql-server-3.23.36-1
php-mysql-4.0.4pl1-9
[root@mybox /root]#

mysqlclient provides:
[root@mybox /root]# rpm -ql mysqlclient9-3.23.22-4
/usr/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.so.9
/usr/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.so.9.0.0
[root@mybox /root]#

the mysql-client rpm package version that I installed is mysql-client-3.23.49a-1

Are you sure your mysql include files are under /usr/local ?

As root: locate libmysqlcient ; locate mysql.h

I'd also reconfirm the path for apxs, ( which apxs )

Verify the location of the files needed and change the install script accordingly.

Example:
<original>

<changed>
/usr/sbin/apxs -c -I/usr/include/mysql -L/usr/lib/mysql -lmysqlclient -lm mod_auth_mysql.c

When I executed the following at the command prompt:

locate libmysqlcient
locate mysql.h

I got nothing returned back.

According to the changed installed script above, in my directory: /usr/sbin, there is no apxs file (or executable file).

There is a apxs executable file in the /usr/local/apache/bin directory.

The MySQL files (program) itself (the mysql that I compiled and installed) is in the directory: /usr/local/mysql. The directory for the mysql-client rpm package that I installed, I do not know where it is. Because when I executed: rpm -iv mysql-client-3.23.49a-1.i386.rpm, it did not display the directory that it was installing into. When I executed: rpm -q mysql-client-3.23.49a-1, it also did not tell me where the directory is located. Is there a mysql-client-3.23.4a-1.i386 source which is not a rpm package that I can download, configure, compile and install? Or is there a unix command that I can find the directory of the mysql-client program?

In the command that I executed:

in the line: -L/usr/local/mysql/lib/mysql
the last word ../lib/mysql, is mysql refering to a file, executable file, or a directory?

next, according the to on-line documentation at is it assuming that the mysql-client is already installed or not?

/usr/local/mysql/lib/mysql is referring to a directory.

rpm -ql mysql-client-3.23.49a-1 will show you the files installed with their associated paths.

Okay, I've got it to work. Don't know why but all of a sudden it work!

Now, I've got an error when I try to execute ./bin/mysql which is to start up MySQL. The error is:

ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)

How do I fix this to make it connect? I've created a user called: mysql and given permission to this user by issueing a chown -R command. Is there something else that I'm missing. I've tried reboot but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

&quot; The error (2002) Can't connect to ... normally means that there isn't a MySQL server running on the system or that you are using a wrong socket file or TCP/IP port when trying to connect to the mysqld server. &quot;

Is the file mysql.sock located in /tmp ?
locate mysql.sock

Is the mysqld server running at all?
ps | ax | grep sql

mysql.sock is not found in the /tmp directory and when it execut ps ax | grep sql, it displays that it is running. The question is, do I know for sure that it is mysql that is running?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back