Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MySQL with ASP.NET?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpdoug

Programmer
Nov 27, 2002
US
I have been trying to find out if you can use ASP.NET with MySQL. From what I've read, MySQL is much faster than MS Access and it is free, whereas MS SQL Server is rather expensive. However, I don't know if hosts with Windows servers support MySQL Databases.

Does anyone have any information on this or links to sites with information on this? And if supported, Windows hosts that support both ASP.NET and MySQL?

Thanks in advance!

dpdoug

Here is a link to the CoreLab MySQL data provider, which is a good product that I have used. It's free, and follows the same programming model as the other .NET providers:

As for actually using MySQL, I have one particularly high traffic site that runs on MySQL, and I have to say that I haven't been terribly impressed.

It is free, and yes, it's certainly more robust than Access, but it lacks major features that SQL Server does have, and also, the database just gets corrupted from time to time and must be repaired. Nothing like that has ever happened on any SQL Server database I've ever worked on.

Keep in mind that MSDE (the desktop version of SQL Server):
is another free product, and you will get great features like stored procedures, views, user defined functions, and the like.

The only problem w/ MSDE is that it doesn't support full text indexing, and does not scale as well as SQL Server. Specifically, MS won't promise anything past 10 concurrent users, but I've never had any problems w/ more than that.

Anyway, my two cents.

-paul

penny.gif
penny.gif

The answer to getting answered -- faq855-2992

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back