Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MYSQL vs ACCESS WHICH IS MORE POWERFUL 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwanyoike

Programmer
Feb 8, 2003
KE
Between Visual Basic and C++, which is the best to use for developing comlex aplications?
Also between mysql and Access, which is the most powerful database for heavy duty records? please give me the demerits of each.
Thanks

Joel

Access does not compete on performance. I don't think it was ever meant to.

Access gets the job done. It has (of course arguably) the best front-end tools for any database system. It has built-in reports, a fact many seem to gloss over (paper reports are one of the larger features required from databases). Access won't work with your 10000-user corporate accounting system, but it will if you link the back-end to a large enough server database.

The point is this: Access is easy to install, configure, learn, and use, and is very reliable (I've only seen one instance of data corruption so far, involving a single memo field). Can you say the same for INSERT NAME database system?

Better said: Can you build a simple database with PHP and MySQL, assuming you've never used them before? --
Find common answers using Google Groups:

Exactly my point....

Why would you develop a business application around something like that? Your gain is all up front, and rather small (easier to install and play with!), and doesn't scale for squat.

And no to PHP & mySQL, but add in sqlYOG to mySQL (forget the PHP) and yeah, you can definately create a simple database with mySQL... use phpMyAdmin with PHP if you prefer... a little harder, but still pretty easier. Neither as easy as access, granted.

And data corruption isn't exactly common among any database... with some obvious exceptions... without knowing your experience and such, one case could be alot or hardly any at all.

-Rob

skiflyer I agree with you that for anything serious if you ask me JET or MySQL and I can impliment either I would go for MYSQL just for the transaction support. If it was multi user I'd have to throw out JET right away too.

But seeing JET is old and Microsoft is replacing it with MSDE I would, at this time, impliment MSDE over MySQL probably.

Access (as a front end tool) , as foolio12 points out, is good in a few situations. It gives the end user easy ADHOC reporting functionality. Instead of having to have a few programmer waste resources generating ADHOC reports just have the users goto a coarse and provide them read only views to simplify the database schema so they can get what they want. The next step, and it is a big powerful step, is providing OLAP tools for them to use. Often power ACCESS users have no problems picking up concepts of pivot tables and what kind of information they can provide. We've had some great success setting up Data cubes and going straight to executives and sitting with them for 2 hours showing them how to use some of the OLAP tools that are available cheeply from Microsoft. The end result is pretty amazing. They've gone from requesting a report and getting it in about a week to the executive sitting at their laptop looking at the data faster then it used to take them to dictate what they wanted to their PA. To add to this many times they would look at the data and go "That isn't what I want, I want ...." we then woud show them a few thing and before you know it they have data that they can manipulate to make effective decisions in a matter of minutes rather than weeks."

Problems I have seen in ACCESS is when defining linked tables and queries that are supposed to be passthough I have seen ACCESS, for some reason, pull the entire tables down locally and execute the query locally. Needless to say this is slower and down right stupid when you concider the person may be off site dialing in. I've seen corruption in access a few times. Usually it comes from 2 users trying to add data and something happening while the OS was actually allocating more disk space to the database at the time.

So I've basically hijacked the thread and want to change it to a comparison of MSDE and MySQL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back