Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MySQL Variables

Status
Not open for further replies.

tidrion

Programmer
Jan 7, 2004
US
Uptime: 7 hours, 54 minutes and 19 seconds
Threads created: 18
Open tables: 35
Open files: 70
Open streams: 0
Opened tables: 4492
select: 29,909
Key reads: 4726
Key write requests: 9684712
Key writes: 108618

Max_Connections: 300
Table_Cache_Size: 300
Thread_Cache: 5....don't ask me

I need some help figuring out what these numbers mean, what I can do to improve them if they are bad so on and so forth. I'm use to having my database stored out of site and out of mind. Now we have 7 sites running in house on php and mysql and before I upped the max connections to 300 we where getting application pop up errors and max connections errors. Is there something here I need to change?

The sites are all for publications, just about every aspect of the sites are dynamic, it requires a heavy amount of interaction with the database. On the largest site I used php and mysql to do banner ad tracking, so every impression (about 25,000 a day) is logged in the banner tracker as well as any hits it takes. Also on that site is an archive with 7000 records that allows for boolean text searching across two fields.

MySQL also stores all of the file references for all the stories, meaning everytime you hit an article page it logs in to mysql, gets the title and filename and php uses that information to generate an include. Is that really stupid of me? I was enjoying the fact that I never had to build links or pages, is this a bad trade off?

System is Win2000 with 512megs of RAM.
MySQL 4.0.17-nt

You mentioned:
"php and mysql and before I upped the max connections to 300 we where getting application pop up errors and max connections errors"

Are you using the mysql_pconnect function anywhere? If so, do you *really* need to? In most cases, persistent connections are not neccessary, the mysql_connect function will work just fine. See

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back