Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mysql settings / varibles

Status
Not open for further replies.

abovebrd

IS-IT--Management
May 9, 2000
US
From the documentation I have found relating to mysql the main configuration file should be the file safe_mysqld

I am trying to disbale one of the default varibles

MYSQL_TCP_PORT

My server is co-located off site. For security reason I do not want any outside clients trying to attach to port 3306.

I simply want to disable mysql from running a socket connection on port 3306 or any other port ! Having it open seems to be a liability.

How can I disable it once and for all.

I tried commenting out lines in the safe_mysqld file. It did not make a differnce ?

I need some help on this one !

I am at my wits end !!!!

-danny
dcd@pop.mainstreet.net

-Danny

If you disable all of mysql's ports, nobody will be able to use it, not even you. If that's what you want, then I'd just stop the deamon completely.

If you only want to prevent external access, you could firewall off port 3306, or, if their is a command that controls which IP address MySQL listens on, just make sure it only says "localhost"

Milner

PS: If you're using a Linux system, ipchains will firewall for you. Something like "ipchains -A input -s 0.0.0.0/0 3306 -j DENY"

(That's from memory so check it out to be sure) If it's on windows, I'm not sure of the best solution, sorry

milner,

I have recompiled mysql without network support. It functions just as did before with a few differcences.

1. No external DB connection on port 3306
2. NO TCP/IP connection to mysql
3. When calling the local DB you must call "localhost"

I have it up and working.

-Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back