Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mySql question (addSlashes?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

grwd

Technical User
Jan 20, 2002
US
Let's say $myData = "Let's party!"

If code in a PHP form includes addslashes($myData) and $myData is inserted into a field of a mySql table...
What ends up in the table?

"Let's party!"? OR "Let/'s party!" OR ???

Dearest Frederico...
I appreciate your deepest concern for my experimental acedemic enlightenment.

However, I would like to know the answer to my question PRIOR to messing with code that someone else wrote. Hense, the question.

Your unsolicited response has not only served to leave my question unanswered but to discourage someone else from answering the question.

But, I'm sure that otherwise, you are a very helpful fellow.

grwd,

First of all my response was not unsolicited. By posting on tek-tips YOU are soliciting ANY answer to your post from ANY MEMBER even if the answer does not please you or is not the solution you need.

Second, if no one else answered your question is probably because Tek-Tips is NOT a helpdesk service where you can came and ask questions and expect a immediate answer. You may or not get any answer, and there are things that will affect whether or not you get them. By posting on the wrong forum you have assured that less people would be able to answer. That associated to the fact that you are unwilling to test an easy SQL statement means that even less people will answer to your post.

The fact that I have answered as I did does not affect the decisions of the other members regarding your post, and if I had not answer as I did there is a high probability that your question would either remain unanswered, or that it would receive a similar answer from another member.

As for your excuse for not testing your code, I am sure you are aware that you can COPY code and use TEST environments, including TEST servers and databases.
If you are not then I advise you to search your local library for books on Software development life cycle, with special emphasis on the testing phase, and then ask your local IT manager to setup test environments so you can test your stuff without messing with production data/code.

So again if you need to know what the result of a SQL Insert is, issue that insert command, and then look at the values stored on the table using another interface to the database.

And I also advise you to read faq222-2244

Regards

Frederico Fonseca
SysSoft Integrated Ltd

Hummm... (Note to self: NOT a very friendly forum here.)
PS: I forgive you - Frederico! But we just can't go on like this. I'm leaving you and won't be back.
Bye! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.