Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MySQL error message

Status
Not open for further replies.

uhohhelp

Programmer
Sep 12, 2002
CA
Hello everyone, I am trying to setup MySQL on my Redhat 7.3 server. This is the error message I get when I try to access it via webmin to set the user permissions.

DBI connect failed : Access denied for user: '@localhost' to database 'mysql'

Is there a conf file I can go in and edit to set the permissions?

Thanks in advance.

Oh no. MySQL authorisation is a complicated thing. It's actually contained in a database called mysql with four different tables. Can't remember the names but user and host are two of them.

It's not for beginners so I would suggest finding the MySQL documentation and reading through that.
Maybe someone here can give you the guidelines for full access, I just can't remember them.

Cheers Henrik Morsing
Certified AIX 4.3 Systems Administration
& p690 Technical Support

phpMyAdmin is the best program from mysql administration...

ChriCW

If that is the case does anyone know if removing MySQL from my server and re-installing it would help? That way it will install with clean and default tables for mysql database?

At this point I don't care too much since I have no important data in it. I was just trying to set it up for some other packages I am trying to get up and running.

I've tried typing "rpm -e MySQL-...rpm" and it won't remove it. Says the package is not installed.

Thanks again guys.

I am connecting to MySQL via webmin (web interface). I am trying to figure out how to setup phpMyadmin.

I have never used webmin. Is there somewhere in webmin that you can set the username and password for it to connect to the database server with?

It looks like webmin is trying to connect to the databvase but not specifying a user. If you can find a config section, try entering 'root' as the user. There will be no password unless you have set one.

Sorry I can't be of much more help.

Will. will@hellacool.co.uk

Well webwin is connected as 'root' to MySQL Database server. I see a mysql and test table but when I try to click on either one it says this: "You do not have access to this MySQL database". And when I go to user permissions it gives me the error message in my first post.

Thanks.
Mike

I typed in mysql at in a terminal window and typed in 'use users' and this is the error that comes up

ERROR 1044: Access denied for user: '@localhost' to database 'users'

I hope this helps... I would hate to have to re-install Redhat and setup my mail, web, and ftp all over again.

Hey Will,

[root@redhat root]# mysql -u root
Welcome to the MySQL monitor. Commands end with ; or \g.
Your MySQL connection id is 33 to server version: 3.23.55

Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the buffer.

mysql>

... and then :)

Well, it means that there is nothing wrong with MySQL. If you are not confident on the command line the try installing phpMyAdmin, it is a great tool to use with myswl.

Will. will@hellacool.co.uk

... and then :)

Try:

> use mysql;
> show tables;

That will show you the access tables. % is a wildcard I think. Problem is all the YESs you have to fill in. (Well it's not a problem, just boring).

'desc db' will show you the fields in the database access table.

Cheers Henrik Morsing
Certified AIX 4.3 Systems Administration
& p690 Technical Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back