Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MySQL assertion

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckster43

Technical User
Jul 12, 2003
US
I know we've discussed this in a previous question, but I believe this should constitute a different query.

My client is stating that MySQL is not the problem due to the DB being run on the D:\ drive. However, he is trying to run a backup with the following parameters:

SYSTEM_STATE
SYSTEM_DB
C:
My assertion is that with the MySQL services running and open files being continually updated that the 'SYSTEM_STATE' is in a constant state of change as well as the 'SYSTEM_DB' and this will prevent Legato to conduct good backups from that system.

The question to the panel is - Am I way off base with my understanding of how this is functioning, or rather not functioning? Or, am I on track with this and it still comes down to requiring the MySQL DB to be shutdown prior to the backup to make this work?

Client is not a happy camper at this moment, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

If you do not have a specific database module, the safest
way is to shut down the database by a pre-backup command and
start it later again.

That was suggested to the client. The client is of the mindset that if he is not backing up the drive that is using MySQL then it shouldn't be an issue. I have thoroughly explained the 'savepnpc' command which would allow the stopping of the database service and allow the backup and then restart the service once the backup is completed. His response is that the server is used for statistics that requires global access and therefore cannot be offline for any length of time.

I'm sort of backed into a corner.

Thanks for the input, this should give me more fodder to contend with the client.

Much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back