Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MySQL and WinXP = kaput

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartinCouture

Technical User
Feb 16, 2002
CA
Seems I can't connect to any MySQL server. I have a web site running on a commercial server that is working, and I used to be able to connect to it. I recently upgraded to win XP Pro, and now, even with my firewall off I can't connect anymore...

MySQL client does a TCP/IP connection through port 3306 to the server. I use mysqlfront, a front end for mysql to edit the databases on remote servers, and I get a message that it can't connect.

It did work on Win2K and very early on Win XP Pro, but playing with accounts, settings, etc... I must have turned on/off something that prevents the connection. The response is very quick that it can't connect and the web site is running fine, so it must be on my computer, somewhere... -----------------
[flush]

Sounds like your ODBC connection is misconfigured. Clisk Start, Settings, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Data Sources (ODBC). The MySQL ODBC source is on the User DSN tab. Double click on the the myodbc3 conection and click configure. The first thing to do is make sure you have the latest version (It should be 3.51.06, and it is available at If you have the latest, make sure all the information on the configuration page is correct and press the test button. Once it tests OK, SQLFront should connect .

Good Luck

Thanks for the info, I do have version 3.51.06 and when I configure to test the connection, I used 127.0.0.1 for IP, nothing for database name (also tried test, the default database), user root, blank password, port 3306, and blank sql command on connect =>
[MySQL][ODBC 3.51 Driver] Can't connect to MySQL server on '127.0.0.1'(10061)

Here's the error log from MySQL, nothing weird, unsure about InnoDB lines...started the server @16:12:13 and stopped it @ 16:12:35 via the services window.

MySql: ready for connections.
Version: '4.0.12-nt' socket: '' port: 3306
030404 16:12:13 InnoDB: Started
030404 16:12:35 MySql: Normal shutdown

030404 16:12:35 InnoDB: Starting shutdown...
030404 16:12:35 InnoDB: Shutdown completed
030404 16:12:35 MySql: Shutdown Complete
-----------------
[flush]

You have to use the IP address of the server where your database lives...not 127.0.0.1....that's the address of the local pc. You also have to put in the name of the database, and the user and password you connect with.

I have the web site on my local computer, that's why I'm using 127.0.0.1, and with the default installation, user root doesn't need a password. I The database test, which is the default install database was also used with no success.

I have a win-xp laptop on which I did a default installation, just like on this PC, and everything is working fine : Apache2, php431, mysql4012. The only difference is ODBC, it's not being used for mysql on the laptop and is working fine.

So, I have removed the ODBC entry for mysql, re-installed everything, and still no luck.

Here's a dump of the last DOS trial session:
Code:
C:\mysql\bin>net stop mysql
The MySql service is stopping.
The MySql service was stopped successfully.

C:\mysql\bin>mysqld-nt --remove
Service successfully removed.

C:\mysql\bin>mysqld-nt --install
Service successfully installed.

C:\mysql\bin>net start mysql
The MySql service is starting.
The MySql service was started successfully.

C:\mysql\bin>mysqladmin version
mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Can't connect to MySQL server on 'localhost' (10061)'
Check that mysqld is running on localhost and that the port is 3306.
You can check this by doing 'telnet localhost 3306'

C:\mysql\bin>mysqladmin -h localhost --port=3306 version
mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Can't connect to MySQL server on 'localhost' (10061)'
Check that mysqld is running on localhost and that the port is 3306.
You can check this by doing 'telnet localhost 3306'

C:\mysql\bin>mysqladmin -h 127.0.0.1 --port=3306 version
mysqladmin: connect to server at '127.0.0.1' failed
error: 'Can't connect to MySQL server on '127.0.0.1' (10061)'
Check that mysqld is running on 127.0.0.1 and that the port is 3306.
You can check this by doing 'telnet 127.0.0.1 3306'

C:\mysql\bin>telnet localhost 3306
Connecting To localhost...Could not open connection to the host, on port 3306: C
onnect failed

I think port 3306 is being blocked. The firewall is completely off and doesn't show any 3306 being blocked, so ??? something else is blocking it ? -----------------
[flush]

Well it took ~5 hours, but everything is working perfectly, re-installed WinXP, post nuke 0723 and php nuke 6.5 running on apache 2, php 431, and mysql 4012...

The only thing I did different from the 1st install, is not touch MyODBC, now everything is ok. -----------------
[flush]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back