Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mynetwork.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tezdread

Technical User
Oct 23, 2000
GB
Hi,

I have a .com domain and a home network running Win2k Server as the PDC.

Currently my domain is mynetwork.local

What is the easiest way to use my registered .com domain on my network? And would this apply to internal/external web connections to this domain?

Thanks in advance !

Tezdread
"With every solution comes a new problem"

I suppose you have two options:
1. Decommission the old .local domain and migrate all the accounts and resources to the new .com domain
2. Create a new tree (.com) and add the new tree to your existing forest.

Thanks Richard,

I think (could be wrong) that the first option would be best for me at this time. Would you be able to expand on this as I don't know how I would go about decommissioning the old .local domain.

I think I tried to setup the domain as a .com in the first place during the installation but couldn't work out how to and I still don't know how to use the .com ?

Has anyone found a simple HowTo guide on this at all?

Tezdread

The only info I could find in Help about 'decommissioning' was related to WINS server but this isn't installed at the mo?

Can anyone help with this at all?

Tezdread

You can use your current domain name internally and your registered domain name externally. If you were just trying to publish a website or host a mail server as long as you create A records or MX records pointing to a public ip. It doesn't matter what your existing internal domain name is. Also, microsoft recommends not using the same internal and external domain names, it can cause issues. They use the example if external is mydomain.com for internal use corp.mydomain.com. It will prevent issues with dns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back