Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My XP PRO key isn't working after re format 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

PamelaDawn

Technical User
Mar 31, 2003
US
Hi. I had to reformat my hard drive. Now that I am reloading my XP PRo, it will not accept my key. I am desperate! Please help!!!

Not sure if this is the problem in your case, but if the key you have is an old one and you have moved to SP1, then it may be due to the activation key algorithm changing between these two service packs. In this case you may have to get a new key from MS.

HTH

Chris

I have just had the same problem,must have spent 2hrs trying varous combinations ie thought maybe disc cases had got mixed (XP Pro XP, Office. W2K, W2k Office.) Service Paks, several discs. The XP number contained a 'D',looking a bit closer, I thought try a 'B' I did and it worked!
Look closly at your 25 dig 'number' and see if there is any possibility of the same, even now the B looks like a D
It is so simple that I inserted the wrong letter for at least 20 mins before embarking on 'the case chase! Now I keep a log.Hope it helps! jonjontheMighty

If you have to reinstall Windows XP you normally will have to re-activate too. Well not anymore. Just copy wpa.dbl after you activated the first time. It is located in the system32 folder. Now if you reinstall Windows XP just copy the file back and you're up and running again.

Thanks a bunch everyone! I finally got it working again. I appreciate everyone's assistance! Have a fabulous day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back