Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My win2k server is a stand alone se

Status
Not open for further replies.

57chevy

Programmer
Jan 4, 2000
US
My win2k server is a stand alone server and not joined to any domain.When I try to logon, the error "the local policy of this system does not permit you to logon interactively" displays ???? Please help!

Yes, I am the administrator's Group, and even though the sever is running, no one can log in.

well if you can access the server remotely, see if you can open up the local policies on the server and add yourself to the logon locally option. Use the mmc and add the group policy snapin, then select the computer you want to use.

I tried that but when I connect to the sever with MMC it doesn't allow me to get to the "Local Policies"

With the server running as a stand alone server, the ONLY user that will be allowed to log on locally is the Administrator account, unless a user has been given specifically the permission to log on locally (which is what "interactive" means), and has a local user account. Servers, by default, deny local access to all users except the Administrator. Being in the administrators group on this system still means you need a local user account, and you must have local access turned on before you can log on locally.

Log on as the Administrator account, go to the control panel, administrative tools, and select local security policy. When the local security settings window comes up, select local policies, User rights assignment, and make sure the user account you are trying to use is listed as being allowed to log on locally. While you are there, set the permissions on your local account for local access and any other things your account will need to do.

If you can not access with the Administrator account, or can not remember the password used when the system was built (try a blank just for kicks!), then you will need to re-install the OS and make sure you remember the administrator's password for future access!

Remote Users should be able to access the server from the network, but since this server is not in a Domain, the remote user MUST first have a local users account set up in order to be allowed access.

HTH,

David

Actually if you have an account in the local administrators group you can logon locally. You do not need to grant that user logon locally rights explicitly. By default the local administrators group is already listed in the logon locally policy.

My guess is someone removed all the entries from there in an attempt to "secure" the server more.

That is why I recommended logging on as the local administrator, you can not block his access, but you can do it to others.

HTH

David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back