Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

my vista keep freezing at the part where i enter product key

Status
Not open for further replies.

meatmeatof

Technical User
Jul 9, 2007
US
my vista keep freezing at the part where i enter product key in the installation process. vista 32bit.
i removed most pci cards from my pc.
i try both IDE and SATA. Same resulting and freezing.
RAM, CPU, MOBO are fine.

what else i can do? anyone has idea?

the only thing i haven't tried is to throw the machine out of window. lol............. :")

How are you starting the install, is it a clean install, or an upgrade, are you booting from DVD or launching from within Windows?

What type of install media is it, OEM or Retail?

What file system is the destination hard drive?

A few extra details may help.

Things like a Bios update, or resetting the Bios to Safe Defaults may help. As might removing USB connected hardware.

Can you run any Vista Upgrade Advisor?

You cannot select or format a hard disk partition when you try to install Windows Vista

linney:
i start the installation from the dvd.
It's retail DVD. It is not come with computer.
the hard drive is brand new.
i already update BIOS. i already reload the BIOS setting to default and no problem at all.
i did removed USB connection on the motherboard.

i can't format hard drive because my installation process can't get to that far. Entering vista product key is few step before the formatting HD.

i did mention that i tried SATA HD and IDE HD. Either on does not help.

It just freezes there.

edit: i don't know if the mobo already has gone bad.

i can't run Vista Upgrade Advisor because you only run it in windows environment.

my PC is sempron CPU, 1.5GB RAM, 400GB HD.

i might gonna try install xp, then upgrade it to vista

Is this an Upgrade Version of Vista or a Full Version.

Have a look at this article, what happens if you hold off entering the Product Key, does it get any further?

Use Vista's 'upgrade' version to clean-install

If XP goes in then your motherboards sounds like it is OK.

my vista is clean installation DVD.
my xp can't go through.

i didn't enter product key , because i was trying to enter product key after the installation. It doesn't matter anyway.

i tried XP and doesn't go through.
i think the mobo has problem.
i used Hiren's bootcd to test the mobo and the result indicates that the mobo is fine.
i believe some features in the mobo prevent itself from working properly.

I had a laptop which was spilled waters on it. The laptop keeps getting blue screen of death during the booting process.
Then i disabled all the features included USB, NIC, Wireless, Audio, etc.. and it went through the booting process. Then i enabled it back one by one to test the booting into windows. Finally figure out that wireless cause blue screen.

i might be going to use this method to troubleshoot the mobo problem. i will also try to use BartPE and see if it goes through.

All the best, I hope it isn't the motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back