Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My Vista Experiences 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DellHater

Programmer
Nov 24, 2006
CZ
Upgraded from XP to Vista Ultimate.
My system (ok needs updating a bit)
XP3000, 1 gig of Ram, 40 G HD, AK39 Shuttle MB.
Found all hardware OK, EXCEPT
Creative Live 5.1 soundcard (expected as Creative don't support anymore)
Mustek USB1200 scanner, no vista drivers on mustek's site.

Install.
Wiped drive, installed XP and SP2 (min for upgrade).
Opted for clean install, system backed up old XP system to windows.old (I deleted this folder afterwards).
Tried installing McAfee 2007, it crashed the system on rebooting.
No alternative but to start again and format as it went into 'constant reboot' mode.
Opted to try Kaspersky for a months free trial, seems to be working fine so far (One week in) so will probably opt for that.
It looks good (visually!), a few of my 'toys' don't want to play :- Adaware, Easy Cleaner, Spybot.

Installed software (ALL WORKING - so far!)
Updated drivers for ATI 9500 card
Office 2003
Kaspersky Internet Security Suite
Roxio 9
XoftSpy
Window Washer

Can't remember all the others, but the only ones I have had problems with are listed above.

Did note that I did not need to install any software for wireless keyboard and mouse (Logitech) good job as there aren't any drivers on their site.

Adaware, Easy Cleaner, Spybot.
most of this is taken care of by Vista now anyhow, all you need is a good AV with spyware incorporated such as Sophos or Mcafee and you should be fine!

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you.

Problem is that according to Microsoft, the only antivirus that Vista supports is Trend, Kaspersky and Norton.
I tried installing McAfee 2007 and the machine continually crashed and went into a 'reboot loop'. The software isn't Vista friendly until you do the update or download the fix.
Trend is the same there is an upgrade for Vista.
Not sure about Norton but I've had a few 'experiences' in the past.
I'll stik with Kaspersky as its Vista compatible as soon as its installed, rather than risk using Trend or McAfee and run the risk of potentially having to reformat the drive and start again.
At least they have fixed Defender this time, I had that on XP and it would not update and continually moan about definitions being out of date. Tried it on Vista and it was fine.

Well I am running Sophos at the moment with no problems and the security centre is recognising it fine.

Not sure who told you about Trend, Kaspersky and Norton only being compatible, maybe they're on commission, but I certainly wouldn't touch Norton with a barge pole.

My users have had nothing but trouble with Norton IS and I used to run NAV CE here on the network but their customer service is appauling so have switched to Sophos.

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you.

surprisingly the security centre told me in vista haha
same here on Norton.
I used to use Antivirus and firewall 2006, kept clashing all the time.
I'm happy with Kaspersky for now, still on the trial, did notice that Sophos do a trial as well.
Will try that too, before I plump to buy one

Cheers!

yeah Sophos have a 30 day trial, and I've already had it catch a PUA (Potentially Unwanted Application) which Norton didn't see!

Good luck what ever you choose.

And Grisoft's (free!) AVG works well with Vista...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

I've used AVG, Avast & Nod32 with vista without any trouble.

thanks for the link :)

DellHater
Mustek 1200 Scanner (usb) (mustek 1200 ub plus)

have you managed to get this working, yet?

long story short, you can trick vista into accepting the xp driver for mustek, I use the scanner through photoshop and it works

- make sure scanner not connected

- empty your windows/temp folder

- start up the mustek xp driver installtion til you're prompted with 'select language', exit out of this or switch screens, don't cancel

- go to windows/temp folder and copy the contents to a new folder

- physically connect the scanner to computer, when asked to look for driver, browse to the new folder

- will install and you can use this scanner with vista, I don't know about the panel installation but I do use it through photoshop

hope it helps if not you but for others
=o)

ps. yes vista's too pretty for me

Microsoft Live OneCare works fine with Vista and provides all the protection needed. However, as with everything in life, one solution for all is not necessarily the best solution - but it is the most convenient.

Regards: tf1

Using Avast no problems. Just installed a Beta Zone Alarm which works fine for me

1DMF said:
most of this is taken care of by Vista now anyhow, all you need is a good AV with spyware incorporated such as Sophos or Mcafee and you should be fine!

I have to disagree with that Vista takes care of it. A clean install of Vista, I installed MSN messenger, my PHP IDE, and a few other things, and left MSN and such running overnight. I woke up to a drive-by download of some malware. Darned if I can't remember which one at the moment though. :/ One of the popular ones. I haven't a clue how it got in. I didn't have AV software, and I had the firewall on. IE protected mode on. UAC on. You know, the default settings. First time that's happened to me actually. Fortunately no infection actually happened as there was a lovely IE javascript window.prompt() waiting for me to tell it yes or no only to have it continue trying to download and install after clicking now. So yes, it was malware. ;) Luckily, IE7's ActiveX "do you want to install this ActiveX control" stopped it ...

----------------------------
"Will work for bandwidth" - Thinkgeek T-shirt

I also have to disagree with OneCare. OneCare did not pick up the usual suspects that I had on my machine that other AV packages do. Things like netcat, enum and winfo, copies of various malware that I was working on RE'ing, and so on. OneCare missed all of that. Granted, this was the "try a scan now" and on XP Pro SP2 rather than Vista (Vista wasn't out except for B2 at the time), but if it is to scan my whole HD, it should at the very least catch some things.

Just my personal experience, so your mileage may vary.

----------------------------
"Will work for bandwidth" - Thinkgeek T-shirt

Always the same with Spam killers, i run 5 on mine just to catch everything. Xoftspy found something that the others did not.
Still cant get spybot working for some reason, habgs on registry backup !

I believe that if you run OneCare under XP, you need to install Windows Defender separately as well. Vista already has Defender.

But I agree that there really isn't a single package that is good at everything. I advocate running SpyBot regularly. So far SpyBot has picked up mainly only extra cookies that many consider as harmeless anyway. But I have helped out friends suffering 'problems' and SpyBot has found many nasty surprises.

Regards: tf1

I have never got the Mustek scanner to run with Vista, just plug it into the XP laptop if I need anyhting scanning for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back