Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My user policy won't work!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

niles

MIS
May 10, 2000
CA
Created a user policy on my PDC and saved it in winnt\repl\imports\scripts. I need help!!

What kind of problems are you having? Your post is a little vague. What kind of client O.S are you running etc....

It needs to be in export\scripts - if it's in import, it'll get overwritten by whatever is exported to it...

Good Luck!

What is the name of the policy file ?
It should be NTConfig.pol, and it should be put in the netlogon share on your server
Also, if your clients are Win9x, a policy file on the server will not work.
You will need to set up a seperate policy file on the client... Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be

Nope: Win9x clients can take their policies from the server, but by default ONLY the PDC. Bill
CNE, MCSE, CCNA, CCA, MCT, CCI

"I'd much rather be lucky than good"

Hi,
If your clients are win9x then your policy file should be named config.pol and saved in the <ntroot>\System32\Repl\Import\Scripts folder.(If you use a BDC make sure you replicated the file on that server as well. If your policy is based on groups then support for group policies must be installed on each client. You can check to see if it is installed by searching for grouppol.dll if you find the file on the client then it is installed. If you dont find it then install it through the add/remove programs Windows Setup Tab. Win98 will allow you to select it from the &quot;system tools&quot;. Win95 you must choose have disk and point it to the poledit folder on the win95 cd. After this you need to go to the passwords applet in control panel on each client and under the user profile tab, make sure that you allow users to customize and change there desktop settings. This will allow the policy file to change the registry and enforce your restrictions.

Hope this helps.

For Windows 95/98, you cannot use a policy editor for NT. You must use a program that can create a policy for 95/98. Look up security policies on Microsoft knowledge base and you will be able to find the appropriate documentation to assist you.

Jason

in 95/98 you also have to add the group policy component on the 95/98 workstation if I remember right..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back